Carolina Crown 2017

1 hour ago, ashevillemurphy said:

Is there going to be a "pre-show/dance on" or are they just going to start cold...
I keep think there has to be something to tie all this together - and I know the real ending is yet to come... it just doesn't seem cohesive to me...

At the preview show they had a preshow segment with the pit playing a Radiohead chart. It got dropped, either for time or copyright issues. I want a preshow too, Crown revolutionized how they're used in 2009 to set the mood and I could see it being an important part of the theme this year to show tradition -> change 

• Like 1

Does anyone have the lyrics that she is singing/saying in the closer, and how they may tie into the theme and progression toward "I know you!"?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Lyrics in the description here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvJYBYl5Q6M

To me they mostly seem like words chosen for their sound quality, rather than meaning.

What's so glaring to me is that if it's framed as "I know you!" meaning "It's still the drum corps I've known all along," the "it" is the part that comes directly after as in, as old-school as you can get (loud brass and percussion and marching and no voice). And it's totally incongruous with the "journey" or whatever that leads up to it...not even the same piece of music. I guess I don't get what the message is actually trying to say, if not that, which doesn't really work.

• Like 2

IMHO it will take a lot to get this all pulled together (if it is indeed supposed to) thematically...
They are scoring well early (in the categories that have been judged at the shows they've been to), and it will only get cleaner/tighter as time passes...

Edited by ashevillemurphy

4 minutes ago, ashevillemurphy said:

IMHO it will take a lot to get this all pulled together (if it is indeed supposed to) thematically...
They are scoring well early (in that categories that have been judged at the shows they've been to), and it will only get cleaner/tighter as time passes...

My feeling is the opposite. They are scoring high based on extremely strong captions but that will carry them to mid season. Once some of the neighbors start performing well, Crown will follow the fate of those recent monster Cadet corps that had flawed design. 2013, 2014, 2015. OR they can adjust the show arc and live happily ever after. But at this point, it OOTW path I think. 

Edited by Tobias

9 minutes ago, Tobias said:

My feeling is the opposite. They are scoring high based on extremely strong captions but that will carry them to mid season. Once some of the neighbors start performing well, Crown will follow the fate of those recent monster Cadet corps that had flawed design. 2013, 2014, 2015. 

This reminds me of OOTW... props that don't really serve a purpose except to be dragged out and used once... with minimal effect:
that rising platform with "Judy Jetson" on it doesn't really add a thing to the overall production... then it's just left there... same goes for the triangles with various percussion pieces on them, used for 45 seconds; once... then also abandoned... yes there are triangles on the guard, and the flipped lapel, and the flags but to what end?

We haven't seen the real ending (let's hope) so there is more to come... 

Edited by ashevillemurphy

8 minutes ago, ashevillemurphy said:

This reminds me of OOTW... props that don't really serve a purpose except to be dragged out and used once... with minimal effect:
that rising platform with "Judy Jetson" on it doesn't really add a thing to the overall production... then it's just left there... same goes for the triangles with various percussion pieces on them, used for 45 seconds; once... then also abandoned... yes there are triangles on the guard, and the flipped lapel, and the flags but to what end?

We haven't seen the real ending (let's hope) so there is more to come... 

I won't disagree with you when you're correct. I can't and I won't. The only difference is OOTW had great music! Crown will continue to win shows though. They perform really well! I think the design catches up with them in 2-3 weeks if not adjusted. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

After reviewing the Clifton videos a good number of times now (decently high quality videos, by the way), there are SO MANY THINGS to love about this show!! I'll get into those in a minute. One giant, overarching thing that is still exceedingly hard to love about this show: the show itself, and the way it all (doesn't) tie together.

First, the positives: 1) the color scheme and uniforms look incredible. The purple & silver & white throughout looks so modern and sleek. Beautiful job with the visual scheme of the performance. 2) The members are, OBVIOUSLY, among the best movers, and by far the best instrumentalists, yet again this year. This is Crown we're talking about!!!! Crown has been my go to since I first saw them in 2008 for examples to bands of what brass should sound like on the move and standing still. That's clearly still the same this year. 3) The music is great in its segments. The Bach is super cool and the epitome of perfect figure musicality. For Good is lyrical and passionate and I actually think the singer is quite talented. No One could not have been transcribed for brass & percussion more accurately, and the multi meter headaches are executed effortlessly. 4) I get why they chose all the pieces. The deconstruction and reconstruction make sense musically. Starting with a foundation of orchestral music, then moving to two standard band pieces, then keeping the lyrics about changing in For Good, then the super modern No One. I get it. It makes sense.

it just doesn't fit together as a whole, and I'm not using the word "yet", because I'm tentative that it all even CAN fit together as a nice package. Again, I get why they chose each piece, and I totally dig each piece when they play it. Right now it's like someone gave me a tour of their living room, and each piece of furniture has meaning to the person, so I get why they're all in the room, but the pieces are all different from each other and the living room just looks odd as a whole, even though everything is in it for a reason.

Edited by Jake W.
  • Like 5