Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Am I the only one who, even though I refuse to watch or listen to any shows before June 20, thinks BD will take the Ott this year?

I've listened to a small snippet and do think they're taking the Ott this year. 

Pure speculation of course, but ####### the music book is crazy and they're not the type of corps to take on a challenge that they can't achieve 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I've listened to a small snippet and do think they're taking the Ott this year. 

Pure speculation of course, but ####### the music book is crazy and they're not the type of corps to take on a challenge that they can't achieve 

Like you, I have only heard the first few minutes of the show. But i am sold lol. I think the Ott could be coming back to Concord this summer. If the visual package matches the music, this season could be over before it gets going. 

lol at making predictions on that quality of video.  I'm trying to also remind myself this is the first extended video I've heard of anything this year and not let the "holy crap new show I haven't heard any of this after months of nothing!" effect take over.  

Sounds great, lots to like in there as opposed to my early reactions to last years show.  Ballad is nice, about what I was expecting (in a good way).  Initial impression is pretty good.  Like always this is gonna be pretty tough to beat.  I'm hoping more than one corps is up to the challenge again because nothing is more boring to me than an undefeated season.  

Looking forward to seeing the visual program which is always their real work of art.  

• Like 6

the last BD show i really loved musically was 2014. 

this year has the potential to blow that away for me. i don't care about scores or placements. this music and the performers are amazing, no matter what. 

• Like 2

Does anybody want to send me a video or audio of the performance from yesterday via PM? I would greatly appreciate it.

3 hours ago, Lance said:

the last BD show i really loved musically was 2014. 

this year has the potential to blow that away for me. i don't care about scores or placements. this music and the performers are amazing, no matter what. 

My initial assessment is:

OMG, percussion intro is way too long.

Bumblebee is smartly written, but not terribly exciting with just the music.  Tubas sound muddled.

Ballad is a high point.  Trombone kills it.

2nd, more modern sounding percussion feature .

Crystal is incredible.

Last bit with trombone glissandos sounds like last year's glissandos.

Probably will get the highest score in DCI again.

When the horns play, they do it incredibly well, but they have a significant amount of tacet time.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

My initial assessment is:

OMG, percussion intro is way too long.

Bumblebee is smartly written, but not terribly exciting with just the music.  Tubas sound muddled.

Ballad is a high point.  Trombone kills it.

2nd, more modern sounding percussion feature .

Crystal is incredible.

Last bit with trombone glissandos sounds like last year's glissandos.

Probably will get the highest score in DCI again.

When the horns play, they incredibly well, but they have a significant amount of tacet time.

In the video, percussion sounds really long because you can't hear the horn soloists coming in and out in the video because of how distorted the sound is. 

BD seems to quote themselves a lot lol i remember some quotes in their 2015 and 2016 show too

• Like 5

That was an amazing performance. Year in and year out, BD always sets the bar, and never disappoint me. This show is just incredible to say the least. This is pure jaw dropping amazing talent coming out of Concord, CA.

• Like 3