Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

Just listened to that SoundCloud recording.

Yeah, there's no way the Ott isn't going to BD this year after listening to that. Geez.

The only disappointment was that not enough of "Triumph of Time" was used, and only by the pit. I hope SCV uses more of it and involves the brass as well.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 3

I think they sound great but music feels very disjointed.  Flight of the BumbleBee seems to be in answer to Crown's fast playing - "anything you can do we can do better!"

Will be interesting to see how the visual ties the rather eclectic music together.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

I think they sound great but music feels very disjointed.  Flight of the BumbleBee seems to be in answer to Crown's fast playing - "anything you can do we can do better!"

Will be interesting to see how the visual ties the rather eclectic music together.

Keep in mind that they were not playing the pieces as a completed integrated show at the Sneak Peek. No transitions, and no indication either way as to their order within the show or how the transitions between pieces may go. We'll be able to tell a lot more in two weeks at family day. 

• Like 6

i'm no biologist, but a bee is fully metamorphosed, right?

i'm assuming the jazz piece is going to be a caterpillar transitioning to butterly? or maybe chrysalis? and then the finale is from chyrsalis to butterfly?

apologies for not carrying on with the ott prophesies. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCI-86 said:

Yup I thought this too. I think Crown is the best at it, but BD will give em a run for their money. I thought their ballad was answering to Bloo's ballad last year too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

Sure, if you want to ignore previous seasons. I don't really see it as answering to Crown or Bloo, but trying to outdo themselves.

I agree with you they're trying to outdo themselves, but I still think this ballad sounds so different than very recent years for BD. It doesn't sound like they're trying to copy them, but it's a way more jamming fun ballad that is a bit reminiscent of Bloo, if only slightly imo.