Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

11 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

I agree with you they're trying to outdo themselves, but I still think this ballad sounds so different than very recent years for BD. It doesn't sound like they're trying to copy them, but it's a way more jamming fun ballad that is a bit reminiscent of Bloo, if only slightly imo. 

Or... it's an anniversary show and they're paying tribute to the BD of old along with a mix of new. You can hear hints of it throughout already 

• Like 5

All I can say is WOW!  Just listened to that recording.  I hate predicting outcomes, especially when it comes to captions, but that brass line sounds amazing!  Their 2015 book had a lot of demand in it, as did 2014, but this might be their most demanding brass book ever.  Seriously...EVER!  Staged well and that ballad could have the crowd on their feet, providing people can pick up their jaws after hearing Flight of the Bumble Bee and the opening fanfare.  Percussion sounds great too, but that room doesn't really provide a clean enough recording to really hear.  Certainly I think SCV, Cadets, and Bluecoats will be in contention for percussion -- along with BD and maybe Cavaliers.  

The real key is can they make the visual and GE aspect of their show match the "pop" and thrill of that music.  If so, it will be difficult to compete with the Blue Crew. Just sounds like a total show coming out of the gate.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Or... it's an anniversary show and they're paying tribute to the BD of old along with a mix of new. You can hear hints of it throughout already 

I mean it could be both. Just my interpretation of it. 

4 hours ago, gabe211 said:

Is anyone fulfilling these requests? I don't lurk here too often. 

Can I bulk fulfill? Give the people what they want! Here's just audio (video is pure potato quality). Catch it while you can. I'll probably edit this post in a bit. Crisp high bitrate recording coming soon near you.

Gabe211 your the man! Looking out for those high quality crisp audio you are promising man.. cool....

Sounds to me for this sneak peek they either left out some parts of the (show)music or decided to change up. Stuff I heard before in firsr recording from trumpets in the opener and grooving intense piece of music with the triumph of time. Since it was rather played in segments in a concert format than flowed in the full run the actual show itself of what I heard before. So thats why sounding disjointed. So maybe they were left out only for the sneak peak.

My favorite pieces is definitely Balad and the Crystal fanfare. Amazing, just wow!

Edited by theonlyfizzle

Wow, very retro BD. This show should make a lot of people very happy! It'll be interesting to see how it scores with the judges. 

• Like 1

There's no doubting that absolute quality and talent of these young musicians but is anyone else not loving the brass and percussion arrangements? It's very early but it seems disjointed and forced. I know some pieces are missing but what I've heard doesn't seem to have a natural flow to it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

There's no doubting that absolute quality and talent of these young musicians but is anyone else not loving the brass and percussion arrangements? It's very early but it seems disjointed and forced. I know some pieces are missing but what I've heard doesn't seem to have a natural flow to it. 

Nope... Just you lol.. i see what you mean there though.

12 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Wait until it's on the field. I have the same concerns but I have this concern with every pre season video that pops up during BD's spring training every year. The sound is so distorted and in a concert setting so any transitions are either not in or can't be heard. 

The show sounds like it has a pretty strong percussion repertoire so there's plenty of room to add in transitions to make the show flow better 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

someone please pm me the soundcloud :)

I was gonna pm you the soundcloud until that Cowboys star. Go 49ers!!! Sigh.....ok pm you now lol. Still go Niners!

• Like 2