DCI's own gets a mention on NBC News

Ah, but Mussorgsky wrote about a Russian gate. Da?

yes Alexander II subjected the Ukraine so that Mussorgsky, a Russian, refers to things from a Russian perspective. But ask a Ukranian and you'll receive a different answer.

Your approach is like making Oliver Cromwell an Irish hero to the subjected people of the 26 Counties of the Irish Republic and the 6 who still are subjected up north.

yes Alexander II subjected the Ukraine so that Mussorgsky, a Russian, refers to things from a Russian perspective. But ask a Ukranian and you'll receive a different answer.

Your approach is like making Oliver Cromwell an Irish hero to the subjected people of the 26 Counties of the Irish Republic and the 6 who still are subjected up north.

Nope -- I can just look at things from different perspectives.

On a serious note, though... I hope no band has its experience denied or ruined as a consequence of political hyper-partisanship.

Agreed, although then again: such decisions might one day be seen as prescient. When I was a junior or senior in high school, so c. 1989-90, I found, in a long-neglected file cabinet in a band storage room, some pictures of the marching band performing for President Nixon during a re-election campaign stop in 1972. Our assistant band director had started a year or two earlier, but I didn't see him in the photos, so I asked him about it. "I had no interest in seeing Tricky Dick", he said. Remember: Nixon was very popular then, and would go on to win one of the most lopsided presidential election victories ever. This was before anyone in the public knew the significance of the Watergate break-in.

On the other hand, I bought an "RNC CLE 2016" button from a street vendor in July as a lark, figuring it would soon be a silly knickknack commemorating a forgotten event. Imagine my surprise!

Wait, I forget: which corps did Vladimir Putin march in?

Ah, the corps that came in from the cold.

Hoping Cadets make a U turn and participate

This shouldn't be about politics. I'd love to see the M&G make it. But doesn't seem to be in the plan or the cards (or the budget) this year :(

Hoping Cadets make a U turn and participate

This shouldn't be about politics. I'd love to see the M&G make it. But doesn't seem to be in the plan or the cards (or the budget) this year :(

Drum Corps and Marching band is more about politics than most would think. Ive seen the demise of music programs only to pump up a very sad sports program AND I have also seen 1st hand the power of numbers who politically went against the usual and WON !

I think many things we do DO have to do with politics and the marching arts community is not immune. We can ignore it BUT imo it's there.

Were the Cadets asked to participate in Trumps parade & they turned it down?

Make Drum Corps great again!

Were the Cadets asked to participate in Trumps parade & they turned it down?

Make Drum Corps great again!

I bring up Cadets because they were in Obama's parade and they are pretty close geographically - and have been in many such similar events

I honestly don't care that much one way or another but - my point is - the decision to march in a Presidential Inaugral Parade should be above politics IMO

• Like 2

I bring up Cadets because they were in Obama's parade and they are pretty close geographically - and have been in many such similar events

I honestly don't care that much one way or another but - my point is - the decision to march in a Presidential Inaugral Parade should be above politics IMO

Not in this case. I will leave it at that.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 6