Beanpot Invitational Lynn, MA July 4th

5 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Am I the only one who thinks FloMarching is making a huge mistake planting their mics at the front of the pit instead of as far back to the stands as possible? Seems like it would help with a better balance of sound for the stream, wouldn't it?

posted from the DrumScorps app

Maybe it's done that way to try to get more of the sound from the field instead of the sound from the speakers. I'm willing to bet having those mics right in front of the stands would have those speakers aiming right at them. I have no idea but that's my best guess...

Am I the only one who feels like maybe I ate the wrong kind of mushrooms while watching Surf?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Maybe it's done that way to try to get more of the sound from the field instead of the sound from the speakers. I'm willing to bet having those mics right in front of the stands would have those speakers aiming right at them. I have no idea but that's my best guess...

As it is, most corps' speakers are now planted directly in front of the mics, so we typically get an over-balance of speakers as it is. I wonder if this is where they're used to placing them for BOA where many field instruments don't project as well. 

With the current placement, you get a lot of speaker and then a lot of whichever player is passing directly in front of the mic near the front sideline. 

Edited by brassboy

12 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Am I the only one who thinks FloMarching is making a huge mistake planting their mics at the front of the pit instead of as far back to the stands as possible? Seems like it would help with a better balance of sound for the stream, wouldn't it?

No...the field will lose presence in the audio.  It seems like that might help, but believe me when I tell you that condenser mics do not operate on the same principles ears do.

The problems are a] electronics are (supposedly) being balanced for the live crowd, not a broadcast, and b] corps are placing their speakers on top of the flank pickups in a way that makes it impossible to achieve any sort of balance with the acoustic sound coming off the field.

Edited by hughesmr

1 minute ago, ajlemm said:

Am I the only one who feels like maybe I ate the wrong kind of mushrooms while watching Surf? The Bridgeman influence strikes again

Hope Jersey Surf can get a better prop covering than something that looks like a black trash bag.  Don't really have any idea what the train stuff at the beginning is.   Bass guitar is WAY overpowering, like louder than the whole hornline overpowering.  

On the positive side, Fun show musically they could do a lot with that I enjoy WAY more than their previous 3 or so offerings.   Color guard had some great moments and there is potential for some very nice fill corps stuff.   Just super dirty right now.  

• Like 1

Guest NickH

Need some help...

Im gonna go to DCI San Antonio, and I've never been to a show. What's the protocol ( How early do I need to show up, Is there anything that you can do preshow, Is there merch there, etc...)?