Beanpot Invitational Lynn, MA July 4th

11 minutes ago, Phillygwm said:

One of the best hornlines in DCI and they're backing up a mediocre vocalist for half the show.

Thats it in a nutshell, imo.   That brass line is to die for however. They may soar with this show yet, but it'll have to be the marchers that'll do the heavy lifting to bring them across the finish line at August Championships, imo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

Wow, I said it after seeing Crown at the theater, and ai will repeat it here.  This show jumps the shark halfway through and no level of performance can possibly get it back.  So talented, but not the show this year.

First half is great.  Ballad might work out.  But after that, the show loses its sense of direction.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, awunderlich said:

Vocals work for the Ballad well but as the show progresses she becomes more redundant and unneeded. Never the less they need to find her something to do if she is gong to be out there.

Funny, I feel the opposite. The ballad to me feels like they could accomplish the soulful sound they are attempting with a beautiful horn solo; whereas the last part, by its nature of being jarring, juxtaposing a singer fits better. But I'd rather do away with extended vocals altogether...

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I watched the second half of Crown's show on hi-cam, and even at that distance, the singer's gesticulations were hard to take. Do they seem so mannered and unmotivated in close-up?

+1 for the use of the word gesticulations ...lol

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

It's not about how good she is. It's the whole idea of making a singer the central part of a Carolina Crown show. I feel like they got bored just blowing your face off with a wall of sound and went Blue Knights on us. Why?

Oh I believe it is about how good she is. And I think they decided to go with a singer probably to symbolize how much drum corps is changing (which I think is the central theme of their show). They have a lot of room for improvement I guess. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poppycock said:

Neither are top tier this season. But Crown should stay ahead of Cadets. 

I would be surprised if either (or both) Cavaliers/Cadets don't pass them. The show is too all important anymore imo 

• Like 1