A Reprieve on A&E (Maybe?)

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Interesting. So what about the competitive advantage a corps gets by getting to exclusively rehease during the season on the the field during the day at their sponsored show site? Cavaliers in Denton, TX and Regiment in Charleston, WV quickly come to mind.  How is that any different than Boston leasing out a show venue stadium?

Good question... but I have no reasonable explanation for why one is now permissible, but the other not any longer. There could be a rational, reasonable explanation for why one is permissible, the other not any longer, but I am not privy to it at the moment. All I can tell you is that Corps have utilized the stadium where the Finals are held for practices before during Championships week for many years.. But as of the 2016 DCI Rules Congress, for whatever reason(s), no Corps will be permitted to utilize Lucas Stadium for practices during Championships Week. That DCI rule that made this permissible for years and years, has now been rescinded and deemed impermissible henceforth.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

let him go, he's on a roll

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Oh, I was not aware that you were asking us above for DCI rules that were rescinded that only applied to" on the field of competition " related rules that were rescinded. In this more limited requests from you of DCI rules that were rescinded that dealt with only "on the field of competition" issues, then I will provide the example of the DCI rescinding the rule on the legal allowance of a Corps to practice at Lucas Stadium the week of Championships in preparation for their Prelims performance. Boston legally rented the A/C Lucas Stadium facilities last season at their expense for their marchers/ staff for a hoped for competitive edge they hoped would provide them the few extra tenths at practice there they could use in hopes of making Finals. It worked. As intended. But when the Rules Congress reconvened in the winter months that followed, they voted to disallow this in the future, thereby rescinding the DCI rule that made this " on the field of competition " practice permissable,( and which other Corps had done countless times over the years as well under the rules ). There are LOTS of other examples of DCI rules that were once permissable, but later rescinded under the DCI rules that deal with " on the ( both literally and figuratively in this cited example ) Field of Competition ".

it was never a rule to begin with. it was a philosophical decision.

and what other kind of rule would i be talking about when we're talking about the rules changes that led to amplification and electronics?

19 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it was never a rule to begin with. it was a philosophical decision.

I don't know what this means. A rule that is adopted and passed by the DCI Rules committee, then adopted as policy by the DCI Member Corps, becomes the binding rules they must abide by. After a DCI rule becomes policy, no Corps can decide via difference of " philosophy " to not follow the rule. It does not really matter what " philosophy " prevailed or did not prevail when it comes to the DCI rules that are adopted ( or rescinded ). The rules are mandated policy. If a rule is late rescinded ( as some are ) its no longer a matter of " a philosophical " opinion. It becomes the new policy and a mandated one. A Corps can not then say as a matter of a " philosophical difference of opinion " their decision is to not follow the rules, and have that fly. Failure to follow the rules can lead to penalties, sanctions, and in worst case, ouster from DCI itself.

Edited by BRASSO

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I don't know what this means. A rule that is adopted and passed by the DCI Rules committee, then adopted as policy by the DCI Member Corps, becomes the binding rules they must abide by. After a DCI rule becomes policy, no Corps can decide via difference of " philosophy " to not follow the rule. It does not really matter what " philosophy " prevailed or did not prevail when it comes to the DCI rules that are adopted ( or rescinded ). The rules are mandated policy. If a rule is late rescinded ( as some are ) its no longer a matter of " a philosophical " opinion. It becomes the new policy and a mandated one. A Corps can not then say as a matter of a " philosophical difference of opinion " their decision is to not follow the rules, and have that fly. Failure to follow the rules can lead to penalties, sanctions, and in worst case, ouster from DCI itself.

it wasn't a rule. they decided to not publish them. There was never rule to publish or not publish, they just decided to stop. you're trying to create semantics where there are none just to hear yourself bloviate

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it wasn't a rule. they decided to not publish them. There was never rule to publish or not publish, they just decided to stop. you're trying to create semantics where there are none just to hear yourself bloviate

Oh brother.. I see you havn't changed much. You asked us above to name a rule that has passed in DCI that has been rescinded. I gave you one ( without criticising or insulting you ). But the one I gave you was not good enough for you. So you limited it to " field of competition ". So I gave you another. But you were not satisfied with that as you decided that rule was not a rule but a " philosophical decision ". I pointed out where it was not.. that it was " a rule " now, passed by the rules of Congress in DCI. But you wern't satisfied with that, so now you reply in an insulting way that I " want to hear myself bloviate ". This from a poster such as yourself that has thousands of more comments on here than any other poster here on DCP. Ok Jeff, we get it. We should just learn that when you ask us a question as to when has DCI ever rescinded a rule, we should have just stated " never ", and you'd have been so much happier that your thinking that rules are not rescinded in DCI are the Ream Rules of Philosophy and Correct Thinking.

Edited by BRASSO

16 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Oh brother.. I see you havn't changed much. You asked us above to name a rule that has passed in DCI that has been rescinded. I gave you one ( without criticising or insulting you ). But the one I gave you was not good enough for you. So you limited it to " field of competition ". So I gave you another. But you were not satisfied with that as you decided that rule was not a rule but a " philosophical decision ". I pointed out where it was not.. that it was " a rule " now, passed by the rules of Congress in DCI. But you wern't satisfied with that, so now you reply in an insulting way that I " want to hear myself bloviate ". This from a poster such as yourself that has thousands of more comments on here than any other poster here on DCP. Ok Jeff, we get it. We should just learn that when you ask us a question as to when has DCI ever rescinded a rule, we should have just stated " never ", and you'd have been so much happier that your thinking that rules are not rescinded in DCI are the Ream Rules of Philosophy and Correct Thinking.

here, I'll go slower for you so you maybe you get it:

IT

WAS

NEVER

A

RULE.

recaps being posted or not posted is not a rule. a rule is what happens in rules congress affecting what is and isnt legal in competition. posting or not posting recaps is a decision the group makes. it has no bearing on what happens on the field, it doesnt affect corps bottom lines financially. those are rules.

I have rules at work. one of my banks prefers if i dont buy fish and nuke it for lunch cause of the odor. it's a preference, not a rule. Same thing here. DCI preferred to not publish the recaps in their quest to inadvertanly chuck their judges under the bus. it them blew up in their faces, so they preferred to publish them again.

While I appreciate your need to break everything down to sub atomic particles so you can parse participles into an argument to support your cause of the day, you clearly don't get what a rule really is and isnt. And no I havent changed, nor should I change.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

:spitting:

the GPA is about to hit zero point zero

• Like 1

Word of the Day - "bloviate"

By the way that is not slang for what Steve Bannon does to himself...

• Like 1