A Reprieve on A&E (Maybe?)

24 minutes ago, deftguy said:

Good Lort, I agree with Hopkins for once(or twice). I love what they are doing with electronics, but I agree..duplicating what you already have on the field is taking things too far. 

He is hardly the only one saying it, I know it is the hot topic throughout DCI. I don't really know how you reign this in, but when you regret sitting in the eighth row of the largest non-regional on the tour due to the absurd overmodulation, something needs to be done. The stupid thing is, the corps that least need amplification are the ones overusing it.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, FTNK said:

He pushed the activity to include all these things (amps, electronics) but apparently only this season thought of the consequences/going "too far"

It's only too far because he hasn't figured it out well enough to score higher 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

It's only too far because he hasn't figured it out well enough to score higher 

LOL - I am now on the floor laughing because this is probably true.

• Like 1

It's kind of ironic, IMO, that when the allowances for A&E were passed in DCI, most of us were more concerned about the "E" than the "A."  Now, due to the imagination of a few talented and motivated tech-heads, we are nearing a point where some parameters of sound reinforcement may be in need of review.  One of the primary reasons for this is crossing the threshold of a reasonable ability for adjudicators to assess the achievement of the actual performers.  Once it becomes possible to actually "fake" a level of performance achievement (rather than enhance) through technology,  the foundational basis of competition is invalidated.  At times, it is now impossible to discriminate sound sources during performances: live, sampled, synthetic, recorded, etc..  Again, a foundational problem for assessment.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Stu said:

But.... DCI corps did have corps march with timpani, xylophones, glockenspiels, and toy-racks prior to grounding them in a pit. And they can do both today if they so desire. Therefore if the precedent is already set for grounding instruments that can be marched, it would be inconsistent to not also allow this grounding with brass instruments.

Who the hell would do that to their body??

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Its a good question, imo.

I was thinking that several Corps have used vocal soloists in their shows in the past 6-7 years in the same way the park and sing ensemble is being used, through the entire show.  I think it was a Boston that did it once and a couple of other corps.  The soloists/ensembles didn't do anything to March in the show at all either.  Did the statues (guys that were painted to look like statues) that The Cadets used last year do any marching?  

Edited by Vdad76

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

This is actually the funniest thing I've seen in a while, thanks for sharing 

• Like 2