2017 World Championships Semi-Finals - Aug 11

They love the triplet downward movement in the low brass....and so do I.  

Just now, MikeRapp said:

Of all the corps, I would love to take on show design for Blue Knights. They have the culture that truly values music and they know how to teach music performance. They have the most difficult raw materials in hand. They need a direction that launches their playing power and creativity to their own unique position, but in a way that connects.

A symphonic show from them, with a strong love theme, would tear the house down.

You know. I was just thinking that something more melodic would let them shine again.  The best moment of the abstract era for me was the 2015 closer because the melody of Fly to Paradise was lovely with all the dynamic control they gave it 

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Of all the corps, I would love to take on show design for Blue Knights. They have the culture that truly values music and they know how to teach music performance. They have the most difficult raw materials in hand. They need a direction that launches their playing power and creativity to their own unique position, but in a way that connects.

A symphonic show from them, with a strong love theme, would tear the house down.

My favorite BK show is from one a long time ago when Zingali wrote their drill and they did Savanna River Holiday. Must have been late 80s. 

Blue Knights. I LOVE your show. It's one of my favorite shows of the year. There are so many cool things happening.  The brass is elite sounding.  The arrangements are spot on, the percussion arrangements are perfection.  The drumline plays so well too.  The front ensemble has some tasty writing.  The guard seems to be a bit  of a weak link, but entertaining and colorful.  The snare solo is money, and so is the mellophone solo.

I love your trademark side to side playing that you've done so well for a couple of years.

You do have a little bit in common with Phantom though;  your show seems like a long run-on sentence.  While Phantom's show takes the dark road with a glorious and majestic ending, your show is a wonderful journey on the lighter side.  You have many creative ideas, but I'd like to see something to break up parts of your show a little bit.  You do have many good transitions, but it still is a draining show for me for some reason.  Oh, and "I" am ignoring all your "i" "eye" messages.  They aren't needed.  Love the BK prep step at the end.  You have some really talented marchers too, btw.

I'm totally sucked into your world at the end of the show, just give me a little break during the end of the first half of the show.

Did I mention that I LOVE your show?

See you tomorrow!

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 4

I think BK is performing well. This brass line and percussion section is really really good. They are exposed as all get out with a high level of demand musically. Visuals seem to drive the show and it does seem music was constructed to work with visual and not the other way around. I have no issue with that but it can lead to some choppiness of phrases and musical thought. 

They lost a little control with balance in the brass at the end. A very talented group for sure, and I enjoy watching this show. If I were to be picky I'd say they are losing some steam with music construction and music GE.  Visuals seem very strong. 

• Like 1