Cadets 2018

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Another:

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

It looks like one of the brass players in the front row has a full beard.

Does anyone know if The Cadets allow that,or if it has to go before the season ?

8 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Does anyone know if The Cadets allow that,or if it has to go before the season ?

Don't know if Cadets will have a policy on it this year, but since that young man is a Sikh, I imagine they will let him keep it.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, JoshClements403 said:

Still no facial hair but exceptions are made for religious reasons

Back in the legacy years the corps had another male member whose religious tradition frowned on the cutting of hair. All attempts were made by the corps to make a traditional shako under which all of the hanging hair could be curled, much like the females members did. But this particular member was so hirsute that it did not fit. While the young man had his own solution, one that didn't please his parents and was not demanded by staff or admin., the policy was adjusted for future situations. His parents eventually became strong supporters of the corps and the then young man is still a great and active alum.   As the world grows smaller and cultures know no boundaries any longer, new situations will need new understandings and new applications. This is similar in a way to the cherished Cadets' tradition to adjust their horns-up protocol so that it was easier for a member for whom it had been a challenge. The rest was history.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Back in the legacy years the corps had another male member whose religious tradition frowned on the cutting of hair. All attempts were made by the corps to make a traditional shako under which all of the hanging hair could be curled, much like the females members did. But this particular member was so hirsute that it did not fit. While the young man had his own solution, one that didn't please his parents and was not demanded by staff or admin., the policy was adjusted for future situations. His parents eventually became strong supporters of the corps and the then young man is still a great and active alum.   As the world grows smaller and cultures know no boundaries any longer, new situations will need new understandings and new applications. This is similar in a way to the cherished Cadets' tradition to adjust their horns-up protocol so that it was easier for a member for whom it had been a challenge. The rest was history.

We had to have hair above our ears and not protruding out the back of our shakos, and of course no facial hair. We had a haircut deadline date that we had to meet, sometime prior to the early parades. One season two of our drummers tried to wear wigs over long hair, but they were sent home and told to come back when they had their hair cuts.

• Like 3

if life allowed, i'd drive out. But the wife reaches trade in age this weekend :laughing:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

I'm excited to head of to Cadetland for a few days later today.

It has been 25 years or so since I was pushed away and felt unwelcome.

I can't wait to watch these young adults prepare for a historic summer.

There was a tshirt in the late 70's that simply stated (and it still applies today)...

WE WILL NEVER DIE!

Pushed away?!! Glad to see you have the opportunity to go. Welcome back. 

18 hours ago, MikeD said:

We had to have hair above our ears and not protruding out the back of our shakos, and of course no facial hair. We had a haircut deadline date that we had to meet, sometime prior to the early parades. One season two of our drummers tried to wear wigs over long hair, but they were sent home and told to come back when they had their hair cuts.

My father had a drug store and a woman who worked for him in the late 60’s/early 70’s, a former WAVE, did not approve of “hippies” and anytime she worked with one, which was any boy who did not have a crew cut, she’d say “Haircut or hairnet” and she’s pull out the hairnet. They'd get a haircut, my father may have signed the paychecks, but they were scared of her. She volunteered instructing a local drum corps, especially in the winter months when you had to brush up on basics.  I’m thinking it was the 21st Lancers of  Norwood, MA, though I’m not sure  (not to be confused with 27th Lancers of Revere) but she got so disgusted with long haired young men, she went over to the all girls Debonaires instead.

• Haha 2