Cadets 2018

16 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

The "wait to next (show, week, whatever)" is not evidence.  If they provide evidence (in scores, not perceptions), I may change my mind.

Now, if they were making moves as Spirit has shown, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that moving up is a realistic possibility.  

Just a quick comment.  Scores should not be taken as "evidence" that one corps is better than another.  Scores determine placement, yes.  But they are nothing more than OPINIONS of a small group of people.  If a fan enjoys a certain corps more or less than their actual SCORE or placement, then great!  Five years from now, the scores we are talking about now aren't going to be important anymore.  The only important thing will be the corps that were MEMORABLE.

Don't let your own opinion be swayed by scores!!!!

Edited by Tommeee
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Just a quick comment.  Scores should not be taken as "evidence" that one corps is better than another.  Scores determine placement, yes.  But they are nothing more than OPINIONS of a small group of people.  If a fan enjoys a certain corps more or less than their actual SCORE or placement, then great!  Five years from now, the scores we are talking about now aren't going to be important anymore.  The only important thing will be the corps that were MEMORABLE.

Don't let your own opinion be swayed by scores!!!!

Scores are what determine placement.  That's the only (somewhat) evidence of which corps is "better" or "worse" , and that's what was at issue in the posting I was responding to.  The poster opined that the Cadets were seventh and might be sixth.  Do you think that poster was referring to anything other than scores.  Some may think the Cadets or (BD, BC, BAC, or SVC) are the best thing since sliced bread, but that isn't what is at issue.  At the end of the day, it is the scores that "matter" and I was providing some reasons why Cadets might be on a downward trajectory, rather than looking at a sixth place final placement.  Although, it is difficult for me to see, with anything that gets numbers associated with it, that they will end up anything other than 7th.

I happen to agree that, for want of a better word(s), "entertainment value" is what I look for in a corps performance.  I like my favorite corps (BC, SVC and Academy) to do well, but I'm more interested in their: 1) entertaining the crowd; and 2) providing a fun and educational experience for their members.

14 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Yeah I'm a bit worried they could come in 8th come finals.

According to Flo's "machine learning" models, they will finish 9th.  

Of course, considering the tiny amount of data and specific and limited circumstances they use as input, it sounds like Flo understands AI every bit as well as they understand camerawork.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Still at West Chester U. Big poured cement stadium corps sounded great there. Off topic but good for this thread.

I only got to see one show at WCU. The first time i went to Chester it was in late June, with the WCU show being in early august before Allentown. They canned WCU and moved the late season show to Chester the next year, which is when the infamous black uniform switch happened

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Of course, considering the tiny amount of data and specific and limited circumstances they use as input, it sounds like Flo understands AI every bit as well as they understand camerawork.

and charging reasonable amounts of money

Cadets have faced Blue Stars head-to-head four times in July, with the difference between their scores below  I don't think you can read too much into 4 data points, but if there is any trend, it was that Cadets were increasing their lead, with Hattiesburg either being an outlier, or possibly a reversal of the prior trend.   I would think St. Louis and San Antonio, where they were ranked amidst all the corps, were better indications than Hattiesburg.   We'll know soon enough on Saturday at Atlanta if it's actually a reversal of the prior trend.

• 7/25 1.450
  • 7/23 2.400
  • 7/21 1.825
  • 7/15 1.575
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Cadets have faced Blue Stars head-to-head four times in July, with the difference between their scores below  I don't think you can read too much into 4 data points, but if there is any trend, it was that Cadets were increasing their lead, with Hattiesburg either being an outlier, or possibly a reversal of the prior trend.   I would think St. Louis and San Antonio, where they were ranked amidst all the corps, were better indications than Hattiesburg.   We'll know soon enough on Saturday at Atlanta if it's actually a reversal of the prior trend.

• 7/25 1.450
  • 7/23 2.400
  • 7/21 1.825
  • 7/15 1.575

Looks to me like it's more of a consistency issue.

49 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Of course, considering the tiny amount of data and specific and limited circumstances they use as input, it sounds like Flo understands AI every bit as well as they understand camerawork

Maybe FLO is weak in A.I. but I like the Corps Scoring Graphs on the dci site, don't know if they are just there for us though?

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

When flo knows to go to hi cam instead of a close up on a singer during the z pull I will listen to their prognostications about finals lol 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1