Cadets 2018

25 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

When flo knows to go to hi cam instead of a close up on a singer during the z pull I will listen to their prognostications about finals lol 

I won't.  I think prognostications, in order of reliability, go:

1. Semifinals

2. Rondinaro

3. Magic 8 Ball

4. San Antonio

5. Tarot cards

6. Flo

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

Cadets have faced Blue Stars head-to-head four times in July, with the difference between their scores below  I don't think you can read too much into 4 data points, but if there is any trend, it was that Cadets were increasing their lead, with Hattiesburg either being an outlier, or possibly a reversal of the prior trend.   I would think St. Louis and San Antonio, where they were ranked amidst all the corps, were better indications than Hattiesburg.   We'll know soon enough on Saturday at Atlanta if it's actually a reversal of the prior trend.

• 7/25 1.450
  • 7/23 2.400
  • 7/21 1.825
  • 7/15 1.575

yes Blue Stars homers may be trying to divert attention from their p.r. disaster on Reddit about Blue Stars culture: facts and fractures. Cadets too have struggled with their p.r. but the last few months since May have been quite uplifting.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tommeee said:

Just a quick comment.  Scores should not be taken as "evidence" that one corps is better than another.  Scores determine placement, yes.  But they are nothing more than OPINIONS of a small group of people. 

I'll buy this to a certain point, but it's not all opinion. There is a lot of fact-based judging in DCI, too.  There are brass lines that factually play better than others. It's not an opinion in some cases.  Is it opinion when comparing the greats like Crown, BD, SCV, Blooo...sure, because they are so close in performance quality.  There are percussion lines that are just better. Fact. Same with guards, marching, body carriage.  Some units are just better at various skills and it is very obvious and factual.  Judges usually do a great job of noting this.

Now when we get into visual analysis, general effect, staging...no doubt I think you are right on the money.  I used to stand up and scream during some of Madison Scout's great shows and then I'd see their GE score and just say to myself..."what?" 

• Like 3

BTW, The Cadets ballad before their closer is so emotionally charged and filled with goodness that I find it difficult to find the right words.  They have come a  long way since Akron.  Love what they are trying to do with the closer, too.  I am now buying almost everything they are selling.  I still worry a little about the slowly-evolving opener to the first big hit, but it's better; and I am still not wild about the front of the uniform (mostly the pants), but I love the visual effect when they turn front to back.  The sheer amount of marching this corps is doing is definitely a throw back to the 90s. The visual program is just amazing!  If they clean this they will be a BIG HIT come Finals. Fans are going to really respond. Bravo, Cadets!

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

BTW, The Cadets ballad before their closer is so emotionally charged and filled with goodness that I find it difficult to find the right words.  They have come a  long way since Akron.  Love what they are trying to do with the closer, too.  I am now buying almost everything they are selling.  I still worry a little about the slowly-evolving opener to the first big hit, but it's better; and I am still not wild about the front of the uniform (mostly the pants), but I love the visual effect when they turn front to back.  The sheer amount of marching this corps is doing is definitely a throw back to the 90s. The visual program is just amazing!  If they clean this they will be a BIG HIT come Finals. Fans are going to really respond. Bravo, Cadets!

Agreed with most of what you said. The biggest thing that's bothering me is the end of the show, musically. I can't get over the fact that there are breaths between each 8-count note when there should be a wall of sound sustained to the end. Yeah, I know I am being nitpicky, but that's how I learned when I was marching.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, xandandl said:

yes Blue Stars homers may be trying to divert attention from their p.r. disaster on Reddit about Blue Stars culture: facts and fractures. Cadets too have struggled with their p.r. but the last few months since May have been quite uplifting.

Misery loves company. :doh::lle::laugh:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skevinp said:

I won't.  I think prognostications, in order of reliability, go:

1. Semifinals

2. Rondinaro

3. Magic 8 Ball

4. San Antonio

5. Tarot cards

6. Flo

7 I always say whoever scores highest wins

• Like 1

Rankings

Jul 26, 2018Michael Gilley

SCV #1 In Projected Rankings After San Antonio

In this first set of projected rankings for the 2018 DCI season, our computer models use data from previous seasons combined with the current season to project out how the rest of the season will shake out and predict where the corps will finish.

Using current data (scores) pulled directly from DCI’s site as well as historical data (scores), we train a machine learning model which then projects those scores out to the end of the current season. The specific projection model is a linear regression algorithm with a logarithmic smoothing function.

I am really hoping this will not come to fruition. 

Rank Corps

Projected Score

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 97.337
2 Blue Devils 96.250
3 Bluecoats 95.688
4 Boston Crusaders 94.810
5 Carolina Crown 94.797
6 The Cavaliers 94.023
7 Blue Stars 93.610
8 Phantom Regiment 92.608
9 The Cadets 92.479
10 Blue Knights 92.091
11 Mandarins 91.830
12 The Academy 90.678

Just now, ssoushinski said:

Rankings

Jul 26, 2018Michael Gilley

SCV #1 In Projected Rankings After San Antonio

In this first set of projected rankings for the 2018 DCI season, our computer models use data from previous seasons combined with the current season to project out how the rest of the season will shake out and predict where the corps will finish.

Using current data (scores) pulled directly from DCI’s site as well as historical data (scores), we train a machine learning model which then projects those scores out to the end of the current season. The specific projection model is a linear regression algorithm with a logarithmic smoothing function.

I am really hoping this will not come to fruition. 

Rank Corps

Projected Score

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 97.337
2 Blue Devils 96.250
3 Bluecoats 95.688
4 Boston Crusaders 94.810
5 Carolina Crown 94.797
6 The Cavaliers 94.023
7 Blue Stars 93.610
8 Phantom Regiment 92.608
9 The Cadets 92.479
10 Blue Knights 92.091
11 Mandarins 91.830
12 The Academy 90.678

Uh BK just beat Phantom by 2 points and this very questionable projection model decides that Phantom is going to jump both Cadets AND BK??

Not trying to be rude (though I'm well aware I'm coming off exactly like that) but maybe a little more practice is needed in creating models.