The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

9 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Thank god the board is gone!! Ding dong... 

...the Hop is gone (had to finish the rhyme)

23 minutes ago, rmm155 said:

Huh, DCI has done pretty much what some of us have said DCI could do.

• Like 2

So this probation is not double-secret.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, BigW said:

Good stuff. Things in place to make sure people know that there are no more shenanigans, and that they're confident they'll be fine for this Summer as well if they can comply with what look like are very reasonable expectations.

If the old YEA! BOD had any scruples whatsoever, they would have put out a release saying they were planning on implementing nearly all of that

Instead, they put out that hideous statement, which I'm 99% positive that Hopkins wrote himself, or at least edited heavily. 

At any rate, this is a good step by DCI, and it looks like the new people in charge of YEA! from top to bottom will make it right, and do it fast.  Can't wait to read an announcement that their corps are no longer on probation.  I"m confident it'll happen quickly. 

59 minutes ago, rmm155 said:

I see no info on this DCI release this evening that puts YEA/ Cadets on immediate probation that DCI imposed this probation upon YEA/ Cadets by virtue of a membership vote. Absent that voting info, it appears that DCI has the broad disciplinary powers to impose penalties upon Corps at the DCI HQ level for failures to follow DCI rules . Glad we could clear up any previous misunderstandings here on DCP of DCI HQ's very broad powers.

I can envision the Cadets new Executive Director and the newly installed YEA Board making an aggressive, good faith effort, as well as substantive, reportable evidence of compliance here to fulfill these DCI demands, and as such will probably have their DCI probation lifted in Sept 2018. I also can't see any effect on the Cadets summer tour schedule at the present time. But they need to move swiftly with this, it goes without saying.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

If the old YEA! BOD had any scruples whatsoever, they would have put out a release saying they were planning on implementing nearly all of that

Instead, they put out that hideous statement, which I'm 99% positive that Hopkins wrote himself, or at least edited heavily. 

At any rate, this is a good step by DCI, and it looks like the new people in charge of YEA! from top to bottom will make it right, and do it fast.  Can't wait to read an announcement that their corps are no longer on probation.  I"m confident it'll happen quickly. 

Uncertain how quickly, though. I have a feeling even after the books are gone through, the independent progress reports to be filed every 2 weeks might go on for some time to really make sure no one from any perspective feels this is a gloss-over/whitewash.

Lack of procedure/training for practically everything and anything at YEA was why one of the BoD members was brought on board. It was mentioned consistently on glassdoor as an issue. They can't whip that up overnight, either.

Based on my impressions of the release, I think the implied target date is September if everyone can get things straight enough to everyone's satisfaction. 5 months isn't a whole lot of time to revamp a very messed up internal corporate structure and then make sure the changes will be truly and permanently implemented.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rmm155 said:

No mention of a gps tracker or radio collar on Hop to make sure he keeps his distance??

• Haha 1

I'm still pessimistic that the organization will survive - just being realistic. But, this direction does give them a fighting chance to make it. This will be a battle fought by the leadership and new board, the performers will have no impact on that battle. Hopefully they can stay focused and put out a great show this year. It's very wise to do a financial review and make sure that a successful season is possible. It looks like they're doing things right. IMO, the biggest potential peril is that donations dry up. Not because alumni, I assume they're the greatest source of donations, don't support the organization, but if lawsuits happen people don't want to donate money to help pay off lawsuits, they want to support the corps. That's my analysis from the outside. Hope they make it, killing the current BoD is the best move I've seen so far.

• Like 1