The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

15 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

This was written by someone who knows nothing about The Cadets. For the record,: The Cadets practice hard, eat great! eat plenty,( Eat Better than a lot of corps) Sleep on the buses after shows just like other corps, Arrive at their schools at 3am or 4 am just like other corps. have floor time until 8,9,10 or 11 just like other corps, Have days off and wash clothes days just like other corps.  Don't know where you got your info Bone-Drone. 

I agree there are tons of rumors about this. I never marched there and neither did my kiddo and even though he debunked these rumors with many friends of his, he still always felt for the Cadets when he was in Another corps enjoying free time, sleeping a little more  and still accomplishing well... a lot. A whole lot. 

39 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

This was written by someone who knows nothing about The Cadets. For the record,: The Cadets practice hard, eat great! eat plenty,( Eat Better than a lot of corps) Sleep on the buses after shows just like other corps, Arrive at their schools at 3am or 4 am just like other corps. have floor time until 8,9,10 or 11 just like other corps, Have days off and wash clothes days just like other corps.  Don't know where you got your info Bone-Drone. 

seems like someone didnt get in when  they wanted...lol

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BDAMom said:

I agree there are tons of rumors about this. I never marched there and neither did my kiddo and even though he debunked these rumors with many friends of his, he still always felt for the Cadets when he was in Another corps enjoying free time, sleeping a little more  and still accomplishing well... a lot. A whole lot. 

Well with BD I can go back to the late 70s and seeing them ALWAYS have more time off, best food etc etc..nothing new even BITD.. Their formula works for them and Cadets or others works for them...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well with BD I can go back to the late 70s and seeing them ALWAYS have more time off, best food etc etc..nothing new even BITD.. Their formula works for them and Cadets or others works for them...

Jim says the food was great the two seasons he volunteered with The Cadets.  He said the sweets table was downright sumptuous. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

It’s no secret BD has it really good and yes, it works for them. I’ll never stop being grateful for this organization. Ever. Neither will my kid-now-adult.

Not sure where the Cadets rumors came from. Perhaps it is this comparison with other corps that isn’t lost on the kids. Just know the Cadets org wasn’t for us. 

43 minutes ago, BDAMom said:

It’s no secret BD has it really good and yes, it works for them. I’ll never stop being grateful for this organization. Ever. Neither will my kid-now-adult.

Not sure where the Cadets rumors came from. Perhaps it is this comparison with other corps that isn’t lost on the kids. Just know the Cadets org wasn’t for us. 

True.

and perhaps it's  just the gossip queens...lol

I have found over the years rumors are stated for 3 reasons, truth,  vengeance, or jealousy...so who knows

Edited by GUARDLING

I think it is possible that recruiting could suffer THIS year, but if my kid wanted to march Cadets, I'd be fine with it. 

Time will tell how this all plays out.  But I agree with others who say this is probably the safest year for a kid to march ANY corps because directors and boards have ALL been forced to examine this issue closely, whether they wanted to or not!  

Gray areas in codes of conduct will be exposed.  Policies will be more well-defined.  

Edited by luv4corps

4 hours ago, boxingfred said:

The food rumors and overwork rumors have been around for years. I have not heard marching members complain about overwork, I have heard complaints about lack of food from marching members when they visit food establishments and convenience stores near competition sites. Now I would have heard these things in Lynn or Allentown, all places where information can be overheard and can spread quickly. I have never inspected the food trucks of Cadets, so I have no way of speaking about portion size or quality of food served by Cadets, but the lack of food rumors may come from marching members themselves, who said things within earshot of the wrong ears.

Stuff went on back in the day with food, but I never heard any gripes from Cadets I knew, but from another corps and the people I knew there..., their problems were infamous. (Cookie Salad. 'nuff said.) Things overall appear to be a lot better than the 1979-1985 era in that regard, though there are some mentions here and there, not referencing the Cadets or any specific group though.

The lack of food rumors with the Cadets (at least the last 10 years) sounds to me like a bunch of propaganda from disgruntled folks with agendas...

Most of us who actually marched KNOW that to participate in this activity..especially in the modern era...members burn a tremendous amount of calories on the field over the course of a summer...even if the members are well fed...they are probably still going to lose weight...just look at all the selfie before/after photos DCI promotes every year...

There are a lot more serious issues here than food deprivation...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2