The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I've been following them for over a decade. I stand by my opinion.  I agree there have been lots of critical comments on show decisions and meddling with design and changing uniforms and hash gate at the Rose Bowl and the G7 fiasco. But - abuse of his employees?  Not until I read the Glassdoor reviews and comments on Reddit. 

Well gosh, you reckon it's 'cause reasonable, fair minded people are less likely to pass judgement on things they haven't actually witnessed?   

• Like 1

I voted no, for a few reasons that have a lot to do with having hindsight as 20/20 after my kid marched 7 seasons.

For many reasons, when he was still marching, this was the ONE corps that was a no from us parents for him to march at, particularly while he was underage, due to many things we'd heard from verifiable sources (staff, kids who marched there) that were for sure just not a good fit for my kiddo. Not every corps is for every kid.

There were other personal reasons as well that yes, did have to do with the leadership of that corps. I won't go into that here, but it seems that my intuition was right.

If I had it to do over and this had happened AND my kiddo were an adult, then no, I don't suppose there'd be anything I could do to stop them from marching there if it were his heart's desire - nor would I want to. As a parent of a minor though, I'd have some concerns over this season for sure, and I think that's fair under the circumstances.

I wish nothing but the very best for the staff and MMs of the Cadets organization and hope they can recover from this swiftly.

• Like 5

I've been following them for over a decade. I stand by my opinion.  I agree there have been lots of critical comments on show decisions and meddling with design and changing uniforms and hash gate at the Rose Bowl and the G7 fiasco. But - abuse of his employees?  Not until I read the Glassdoor reviews and comments on Reddit. 

If I had said that I knew a YEA employee that GH sexually harassed before this all hit, and I indeed do, a lot of people would have came down on me like a ton of bricks. There would have been a lot of:

"You're just saying that to discredit and slander GH! Name your sources! You're making this up! You rotten Cadet H8ter! You have an agenda!" :whistle:

The mods would also have had words with me, I'm certain. So I sat on it.

And yes, several of us tried to say to people seeking employment there that GH's treatment of employees at YEA was less than stellar- (the sexual issues were unknown, that wasn't why we spoke up), that everyone we knew lasted less than a year- something wasn't right there.

It's been mentioned on several others posts and related threads the common thread of just about everyone who took a job there who was warned- '...opportunity of a lifetime'. 'I'll make a difference'. 'It won't happen to me'.  A lot of very sincere enthusiasm for the YEA mission that was really misplaced and not their fault, now those that tried to warn them, either.

My first full time teaching job was inner-city. I thought I too would make a difference and survive. I was one of 6 directors in 5 years. I at least made it through the year, then left. The replacement for me lasted 2 weeks and ran out the door when he got another offer. And, it left me pretty bitter. It wasn't the kids, it was because of an utterly inept, idiotic (I could go on with it but will not) administration who placed other priorities instead of education ahead of it. So, I know what happened with these people and feel for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Well gosh, you reckon it's 'cause reasonable, fair minded people are less likely to pass judgement on things they haven't actually witnessed?   

That doesn't make sense, because now it's all - oh yeah, everyone knew, I tried to warn them , etc.  I reckon  

That doesn't make sense, because now it's all - oh yeah, everyone knew, I tried to warn them , etc.  I reckon  

I have to agree..a lot of folks are being disingenuous for sure...

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

That GH was terrible to work for is the worst kept secret in DCI. I don't think anyone who knows anyone who ever worked for him was under any illusions otherwise. The board didn't give a #### though so there wasn't much that could be done.

What should have been done differently by your average DCPer?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I have to agree..a lot of folks are being disingenuous for sure...

This tends to happen in situations such as this, people claiming they knew all the time, etc. The first person I knew who was accused of sexual misconduct, actually abuse because the young woman was a minor, was considered the best teacher in the high school and easily those most popular, tough but fair, went the extra mile, the whole nine yards. After he was caught in the act, everyone claimed they knew he was a creep. With the exception of some of the notorious cases, members of the clergy were often the best and most popular, then when accused everyone claimed to be uncomfortable with him. Often the best coaches are accused and it’s the same thing. In some cases the people are disingenuous, but I think in other cases, people want to believe the best and when the accusation is made, you see things differently. In other cases the anger and hurt about an accusation makes some say they knew all the time. 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

This tends to happen in situations such as this, people claiming they knew all the time, etc. The first person I knew who was accused of sexual misconduct, actually abuse because the young woman was a minor, was considered the best teacher in the high school and easily those most popular, tough but fair, went the extra mile, the whole nine yards. After he was caught in the act, everyone claimed they knew he was a creep. With the exception of some of the notorious cases, members of the clergy were often the best and most popular, then when accused everyone claimed to be uncomfortable with him. Often the best coaches are accused and it’s the same thing. In some cases the people are disingenuous, but I think in other cases, people want to believe the best and when the accusation is made, you see things differently. In other cases the anger and hurt about an accusation makes some say they knew all the time. 

Knowing about the sexual allegations is one thing, working for someone like Hop is quite another. If people didn't know it was a very difficult place to work OR that it was not a democracy was just kidding themselves, As another poster said, It was the worst kept secret in the activity. 

With that said I do believe there may have been  some people who could have known or may have heard of the more serious claims of the allegations of sexual assault Now that can spread as I have said numerous times to many corps NOT just the old board. I have talked to many who have said: "I wonder if I will be asked". If that spreads everyone should be prepared how widespread that can be from staff other places, schools, winter programs, other corps management etc etc

Remember Cadets had many staff there for years and at the same time had a revolving door with others.. 

I don't think, I know most people did know,( not all, of course, nothing is 100 %) not about the sexual misconduct but the management style of Hop BUT it's hard to fault anyone for numerous reason to fall into the trap thinking it will be different . I know this 1st hand

Edited by GUARDLING

7 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Look harder cause I know I’ve made them 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Look harder cause I know I’ve made them 

Hey, I'm not doubting you. I just think the preponderance of the comments negative towards GH were for things not having to do with his abusing the hired help. Pivoting, I appreciate Tim K and Guardling's recent comments. They show some insight that I was hoping to read here. 

• Like 1