The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

31 minutes ago, Daave said:

Yeah, where'd he go 

' Guess, he'd be what you could call a DCP poster " drive by ". Came onto DCP, fired off a cup'lla rounds,  then drove off, never to be seen. nor heard from again.

Edited by BRASSO

14 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

I voted "No" for the short term. There were definitely people within the organization that knew what was going on and they looked the other way. Until everything is sorted out and all the bad weeds removed, I would not allow, well, "pay" for my kid to march with the organization. That trust would have to be earned again.

That's certainly reasonable. 

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Like before, I believe I understand your concerns, but still think you are overreaching.

However, some of the responses...

- "cut by Cadets"
- categoric denial
- "troll"

... demonstrate there is still a small, but vocal, minority who give credence to the cowtown culture concern.  Not enough to change my mind, but enough to fuel his contentions.

That's complete BULL. It's perfectly fine for him to come on here and insult those who have had anything to do with Cadets but we have no right to call him on what he is portraying? Screw that. He has no right to imply that those of us who have had any connection with Cadets are complicit to that behavior, and anyone who believes that he is right with that opinion is misguided. If you think it's fine to comment on his "substance", then you should also agree that he should STICK to a substantive argument and not hurl insults either. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Agree. The rape accusations were not known.   I think we all agree on that. But what Was known was the atmosphere of intimidation, mental/emotional abuse heaped on employees by GH basically forever. Note I use the word atmosphere, not culture. Anyway, I do not remember seeing much if any discussion on here calling out GH for that boorish inexcusable behavior.   Almost as though we can't say anything negative that might drive away some of the talent. What I did read was a lot of - well, they knew what they were getting themselves into when they took the job. Victim blaming. So yes, in that regard, I do see the point. I don't see any introspection about that either. 

That’s all I’m saying

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Your comparison of Cadet alumni behavior to that of a wild animal is doing them, and yourself, a disservice.

Whether or not cowtown is merely "baiting", no one has to fall for the bait.  Every time someone does, it will only add to his case, as you point out.  You can respond to the substance of his posts without getting personal... or you can choose not to respond if you see no substance in his posts.

And no, it is not a ludicrous assertion to suggest that Hopkins might have found some aspect of corps culture he could manipulate to his advantage.  Of course, the larger point is that the steps being taken (removal of Hopkins, a new BOD to provide proper oversight, development of robust harassment/whistleblower policies, DCI guidance in the process) should prevent any similar manipulations from recurring.

No, I am not comparing Cadet behavior to that. I am saying that is what he is doing, just to get some sort of rise out of people.

True, nobody has to respond to him, but if he is attacking something they hold dear, the desire to respond is there. Human nature. i am  not adding to his case at all. Alumni of any corps with a long and storied history might respond when attacked in such a manner. Look at some of the Scouts threads, for example. 

We will agree to disagree on the last portion of your post. Society in general has given predators the ability to do what Hopkins, Weinstein, Cosby, etc, have done over time...and gotten away with forever. Just look at "casting couch'" stories going back a century...some of the biggest names in film, for instance. Hopefully that behavior can become a thing of the past, as a bright light shines on these monsters.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Agree. The rape accusations were not known.   I think we all agree on that. But what Was known was the atmosphere of intimidation, mental/emotional abuse heaped on employees by GH basically forever. Note I use the word atmosphere, not culture. Anyway, I do not remember seeing much if any discussion on here calling out GH for that boorish inexcusable behavior.   Almost as though we can't say anything negative that might drive away some of the talent. What I did read was a lot of - well, they knew what they were getting themselves into when they took the job. Victim blaming. So yes, in that regard, I do see the point. I don't see any introspection about that either. 

if you follow any of the Cadets threads, you'll see Hopkins called out on a variety of topics, including how he treated people, as well as a plethora of other threads over DCP's history. No one person has generated more negative posts about them on here than he did.

38 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if you follow any of the Cadets threads, you'll see Hopkins called out on a variety of topics, including how he treated people, as well as a plethora of other threads over DCP's history. No one person has generated more negative posts about them on here than he did.

I've been following them for over a decade. I stand by my opinion.  I agree there have been lots of critical comments on show decisions and meddling with design and changing uniforms and hash gate at the Rose Bowl and the G7 fiasco. But - abuse of his employees?  Not until I read the Glassdoor reviews and comments on Reddit. 

Edited by HockeyDad

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

That's complete BULL. 

Breaking it down, phrase by phrase:

It's perfectly fine for him to come on here and insult those who have had anything to do with Cadets

Never said his posts are perfectly fine.

but we have no right to call him on what he is portraying? Screw that. 

No.  As I said, you have every right to respond, and options on how/when to do it.  I am only giving a suggestion on how to choose.

He has no right to imply that those of us who have had any connection with Cadets are complicit to that behavior, and anyone who believes that he is right with that opinion is misguided. 

Actually, he has a "right" to imply anything that stays within DCP guidelines.  He has the right to be wrong, ultimately.

If you think it's fine to comment on his "substance"

... if/when you think there is something substantive to comment on... otherwise, why bother?

, then you should also agree that he should STICK to a substantive argument

That is what I have been telling him in my posts.

and not hurl insults either. 

Agreed.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I've been following them for over a decade. I stand by my opinion.  I agree there have been lots of critical comments on show decisions and meddling with design and changing uniforms and hash gate at the Rose Bowl and the G7 fiasco. But - abuse of his employees?  Not until I read the Glassdoor reviews and comments on Reddit. 

It was discussed at length in this thread: 

I know it has been discussed previously when he posted job openings that criticized the people who left as well but I don't have the specific threads for those.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

He’s banished.  

Got it, or as Dropkick Murphy's might say..." Johnny, I hardly knew ya "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 2