Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

1 hour ago, gregory11 said:

I noticed when all of the craziness with Hopkins/YEA come about a month ago, the Xmen camp was very quiet.  Now I know why!!! Just sweep everything under the rug and it will go away.

This is unfair.

• Like 2

Mr. Moody, according to the Philly Inquirer reporting was told to stop his sex texting by the H.S. Student.

Did he ? According to the Philly Reporter's article, the only thing that changed was........ time.

After some time elapsed, did he go back to his sex texting bad behaviors with her AGAIN ?

According to the Philly Inquirer reporting, he did.

So... how many chances was he given in this sorry saga ?

Well, even with todays New Math that is taught in schools, I still come up with the number 2

Anybody else here come up with the number 1 in chances he had here ?

Even the number 1 of sexual bad behavior episodes by a trusted adult in positions of authority over youth in their charge is 1 too many, imo.

And the State Board of Education agreed when it revoked his Teaching License for 5 years.

But  2,.. not 1.... DCI Corps during the teacher license revocation period, decided they would allow other people's children to be put at risk, something the State was not going to take in risk in any of their schools.

Yet, there are STILL people in DCI,... we see it even here on DCP the last 12 months....that believe its appropriate to give unsuspecting parents and their children an environment where misguided adults decide to give a  second,( or third, fourth or whatever number) chance to work in an environment that they have abused that trust, right, and responsibility before.

Until DCI HQ decides that there can be no " second chance "  opportunities for people caught in sexual misconduct misbehaviors , or with Corps that permit such hires, DCI will be unable to do what it claims it wants to so in the future, ie... provide a safe environment as humanly possible for its youth in its trust.

One final thought...  research studies have shown that those who were caught in sexual misconduct did not do so just once. They were simply uncovered once... or twice. The fact that in public, a person once found before in sexual misconduct, did not do so again is mere speculation alone. We do not know if a person found in sexual misconduct before did not do so any time after that again. Its possible they did not do so again. But its also entirely possible that they learned to simply be far more discreet in private sexual misbehaviors, which allowed them not be caught again, thats all. Both are possible. 

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Shouldn't it just be mandatory in DCI that if State Board's of Education believe you are unfit by character, behaviors, incidents to be teaching anywhere in their schools, ( revoking a teacher's license ) that DCI should have a required policy that you are likewise deemed unfit to be around youth that travel from school to school on 9 -10 week summer tours ?   Isn't some of this pretty predictable if we think about it ? The fact that on more than one occasion DCI Corps are found hiring people that had incidents of sexual misconduct , had lost their Teaching License, is both appalling as well as pretty predictable that DCI would ultimately find itself in the current situation that it finds itself in. What were they thinking ?  Here's the deal.. around youth, there is no such thing as a " second chance " regarding behaviors that involve sexual misconduct by teachers/ instructors/ school employees in trusted positions of authority over youths in their charge. All 50 state's Teacher Licensing Boards believe so. DCI should come into the 21st Century here and adopt policy and procedures, with stiff penalties, including termination of membership in DCI, for Corps found hiring people that have previously had their Teaching License revoked by virtue of incidents of sexual misconduct.

DCP needs a 'like' button that says 'Duh!"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lance said:

1) Federal and state background check for any adult working with minors

2) Verification of all past places of residence included as part of the application.

3) Verification of all past places of employment.

These would be enough for any competent person in charge of hiring to do a quick search of court records and reasons for leaving their previous employers as well as any conspicuous gaps in employment.

No, it's not asking too much. 

As for whether or not to give somebody fired for, convicted of, or even suspected of harming children a "second chance," I guess that will be up to the corps unless DCI implements something draconian. 

In my opinion, for a corps to even think about being an outlet for "second chances" of this kind is beyond stupid.  it was before the Hopkins story came out, and it is now. 

I agree with these as a start , but w/r/t suggestion 1), although the several States as wells as the Feds track the information, they do it in different manners from each other.  Heck, it was only like 15 years ago that the 30+ fingerprint databases started to be able to talk to each other (I know this from another life...).  

This is a bigger issue than our beloved activity.  However, there is an opportunity to demonstrate leadership- perhaps DCI could get together with other orgs (USA Gymnastics maybe?) & push for standardizations?  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more better clarity as to which suggestion I was referring to

39 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

ok      just the skeptic in me

I get good vibes from her in our chats. She isn’t just looking to make the kill. If she was, you wouldn’t see follow ups about the show

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I get good vibes from her in our chats. She isn’t just looking to make the kill. If she was, you wouldn’t see follow ups about the show

hmmm maybe..I get a different vibe but just my opinion and skepticism and I don't see the point of her talking about shows...jmo

Not accusing her of anything..just a feeling I guess

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i can guarantee there will be follow up articles as more comes out. I'm pretty sure Morrison is going to have to go as more comes out. The writer is obviously reading here as she just tweeted learning about the connection of the corps to YEA...and it's most infamous alumni

Agree.  Bad news NEVER ages well.  Amputate & cauterize  

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

No doubt. Every Corps is now vulnerable,  and under suspicion, as they are all members of DCI. No DCI membership Corps.. not a single one of them... is off the hook at the moment. This puts an regrettable cloud under the entire activity. These adults who did these despicable behaviors, and those who hired them, not only damaged victims, themselves, their Corps, but the entire DCI community. So it has already spread to ( as you so boldly capped here ) " EVERY CORPS" . That is of course, unfair. But its the natural occurrance when there is such a lack of internal controls within some individual DCI Corps, and an apparent institutional breakdown of controls at the DCI HQ level.  Are there more shoes to drop ? Hard to believe not. Until the depth, breadth of this is fully known, all DCI Corps remain under a cloud of suspicion. Unfair, but thats where we are at the moment, just as you have  mentioned on here the last month or so on several occasions.

This.

You Get It

We need a 'Duh' button

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

No offense but it’s shown talking to him doesn’t do any good. If it did he’d have acted years ago

Read what Fred sent every member and every parent. Fred said how he came to Crossmen and he was forthcoming in what he did and he meant. At least he came forward about what he did and I can guarantee he just didn’t welcome him to the family. I agree consensual and sensual is just as bad and I’m not disagreeing but what Fred did was giving the man a second chance to start over which a lot of people won’t do. Saying and doing are 2 hugely different things but of the same color. If there was actually a problem in these past years he would’ve been terminated just like any other member has been these past years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Didn't she also write something on the 2018 show?

People have responded to Nadolny's Twitter feed over the past month encouraging her to attend a show this summer, and she replied indicating she would do so.