Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

8 minutes ago, Daktubalan said:

Read what Fred sent every member and every parent. Fred said how he came to Crossmen and he was forthcoming in what he did and he meant. At least he came forward about what he did, and I can guarantee he just didn’t welcome him to the family.

Were prospective members and their parents told over the past six months that one of the staff members, who would be touring with the corps this summer, had done what Moody did? Again I ask: do members and parents have a right to know that sort of thing, or don't they?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Just now, GUARDLING said:

Very interesting to me... just sayin'.

Personally I think it's a good thing that she'll get to see the activity live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I’m going to be delicate in my response, just for you.

great people don’t ####### hire individuals fired for sending inappropriate text messages to students or ignore complaints and concerns from former staff and other directors. Great people say “ I don’t care how ####### good you’ll be for my corps, you’ve got a public record of ####### inappropriate behavior with kids, of which my corps is ####### full of. Want a second chance? Go find God.”

You’re right they just don’t hire them. They go through the process of should we. It was wrong for what he did. He was punished for what he did. They never engaged in anything except texting if you actually read the real article and not that bias piece of news. You should go find the real article. You would know that he got his certification taken away and resigned. So... let’s say this.. Step into his shoes you messed up. BAD. You’re looking for a job. This one is given to you by the Grace of God. The Morrison’s saw something in him that’s why they hired him. People do change, though there past is reported. Some people don’t. I believe he’s been a great influence on us kids as performers and young adults during his time with us. (Oh no an opinion). But I know that doesn’t change your opinion which I’m glad you keep. But we’ll come out of this stronger than ever! Because that’s what the real BONES are about! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

People have responded to Nadolny's Twitter feed over the past month encouraging her to attend a show this summer, and she replied indicating she would do so.

That’s pretty cool 

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve seen those guys at drum corps shows.  A lot.  Now my ick meter is in the red zone.  :59_sleepy:

Some of those guys are on dcp. There’s been comments on here in regards to VK’s cymbal line and Phantom’s and Dutch Boy’s guards that have made me cringe. Those young ladies are frozen in time at 22 or younger while the men making comments are probably well into middle age. Ewwww. (Not that lecherous comments should be made at any age)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Crossmen have a very passionate alumni and it’s been only in the last few years that the ties have been rebuilt. The YEA years and the sale to Texas left many lingering feelings that are still mending. I think being bounced out of their HOF was a big step to help continue strengthening those ties. How this is handled could help even more 

I’m not questioning the passion of the Crossmen alumni, but Cadets have had people waiting to mobilize for quite some time. They may not have expected it would be a sexual scandal that would bring the former director down. I think financial issues was more the prediction though some have said this was not unexpected. Crossmen do not go back 80 years, nor do the corps that merged to form Crossmen. Cadets had a larger pool to draw from, and chances are more financial resources. However, one strength Crossmen has is its structure. Fred Morrison is taking it on the chin in this thread, and while you can’t excuse his judgment in this matter, he’s hardly erratic in his decisions, you don’t see umpteen hundred videos with his rants on Facebook, nor does he interfere with people doing their jobs. His business skills are very good. My thought is that parents learning a former high school teacher who lost his certification and was involved in a corps with younger members could make parents jittery. I thought this could happen with Cadets and I’m very glad to be wrong in this matter, but Crossmen could be more vulnerable. Cadets are a shoe-in for finals, Academy and Mandarins will be hungry, Crossmen could be vulnerable in all kinds of ways. 

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Were prospective members and their parents told over the past six months that one of the staff members, who would be touring with the corps this summer, had done what Moody did? Again I ask: do members and parents have a right to know that sort of thing, or don't they?

Of course they should be told. But how long do hold something over someone’s head after you know they’ve changed personally? Working alongside them for 6 years? Your friend? (personal answer?)

I try to think about it in my shoes sometimes. It’s like holding things over my mother lol. But I forward as almost forgiveness which is part of my values and so many others and knowing that someone has changed for the better. (Opinion)

2 minutes ago, Daktubalan said:

You’re right: they just don’t hire them. They go through the process of: should we? It was wrong, what he did. He was punished for what he did. They never engaged in anything except texting, if you actually read the real article and not that biased piece of news. You should go find the real article. You would know that he got his certification taken away and resigned. So, let’s say this: step into his shoes: You messed up. BAD. You’re looking for a job. This one is given to you by the Grace of God. The Morrisons saw something in him; that’s why they hired him. People do change, though their past is reported. Some people don’t. I believe he’s been a great influence on us kids as performers and young adults during his time with us. (Oh no, an opinion). But I know that doesn’t change your opinion, which I’m glad you keep. But we’ll come out of this stronger than ever! Because that’s what the real BONES are about!

Moody needs to find a different line of work. Also:

1. What is "the real article"? Why is it more reliable than "that biased piece of news", by which you presumably mean Nadolny's article?

2. Did Fred Morrison or anyone else at Crossmen tell you, at any point before the news broke this week, that Moody had sent sexual texts to one of his students?

3. Isn't it possible that the organization would be stronger without an enabler at the helm?

24 minutes ago, Daktubalan said:

Read what Fred sent every member and every parent. Fred said how he came to Crossmen and he was forthcoming in what he did and he meant. At least he came forward about what he did and I can guarantee he just didn’t welcome him to the family. I agree consensual and sensual is just as bad and I’m not disagreeing but what Fred did was giving the man a second chance to start over which a lot of people won’t do. Saying and doing are 2 hugely different things but of the same color. If there was actually a problem in these past years he would’ve been terminated just like any other member has been these past years. 

Oh but there Was a problem. Staffers discussed it with the director  and were ignored. The pattern of behaviors continued, the director was provided information about it.....and did not get rid of the guy. Good thing the Philadelphia Inquirer came along and finally shamed him into taking action. This doesn't sound like the kind of director the activity needs today, in my opinion. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1