Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

21 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

She's a reporter, not a new found friend. At least not with the important subject at hand. 

No doubt. Neither one of us know her from a hole in the wall. We'll most likely never meet her either. As such, she'll never have the good fortune of becoming a " new found friend " for either one of us, nor her, for us either. Her job as a reporter is not to become a " friend " to DCI. DCI probably feels the same way toward her newspaper too.  Dan A. has apparently rejected her overtures for more interviews with him. Thats of course in his domain as well, I suppose. But theres a wise old saying  :  " never pick a fight with someone ( newspaper ) that buys ink by the barrel ". He might be well served to reconsider not agreeing to grant her interviews. On the other hand, he may have some valid reasons for not doing so, unknown to us at the moment too. Who knows. But yes, she's not a " new found friend ", not about to become one either, so that seems sort of a given and irrelevant to anything, really. My reply was that she's doing her job, and its nice to see she might be attending her 1st DCI show this summer.

Edited by BRASSO

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think it may be well more than a responsibility--it could be Criminal Negligence.

Just wait until prosecutors or DA's office rolls in: with all of this in the news (DCI, Larry Nassar, Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, etc.), I would be stunned if they are not looking at potential indictments, at least in some cases (I know there are evidentiary rules, statutes of limitations, etc.). They usually play their cards real close to their chest... Brace for Ram.

P.S.--I wonder how many fans / alums are willing to contribute to a GoFundMe page for attorney fees.

Speaking of Nassar and administrators who worked hard not to learn the truth, some similar news that broke in the past few hours: USC health center received complaints that a gynecologist there was mistreating patients and did nothing. The dams continue to burst. Build your arks now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

But there's a wise old saying: "Never pick a fight with someone that buys ink by the barrel."

Not unless DCI thinks it has the pull of the Pittsburgh politician who apparently just got the editor of a local weekly paper fired for investigating him.

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Speaking of Nassar and administrators who worked hard not to learn the truth, some similar news that broke in the past few hours: USC health center received complaints that a gynecologist there was mistreating patients and did nothing. The dams continue to burst. Build your arks now.

Keep in mind that the Indy Star broke the Nassar story.  IIRC DCI lives in Indy.  The reporters there understand how it all works (not to slight the Philly reporter).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Some of those guys are on dcp. There’s been comments on here in regards to VK’s cymbal line and Phantom’s and Dutch Boy’s guards that have made me cringe. Those young ladies are frozen in time at 22 or younger while the men making comments are probably well into middle age. Ewwww. (Not that lecherous comments should be made at any age)

I could tell some stories...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

No doubt. Neither one of us know her from a hole in the wall. We'll most likely never meet her either. As such, she'll never have the good fortune of becoming a " new found friend " for either one of us, nor her, for us either. Her job as a reporter is not to become a " friend " to DCI. DCI probably feels the same way toward her newspaper too.  Dan A. has apparently rejected her overtures for more interviews with him. Thats of course in his domain as well, I suppose. But theres a wise old saying  :  " never pick a fight with someone ( newspaper ) that buys ink by the barrel ". He might be well served to reconsider not agreeing to grant her interviews. On the other hand, he may have some valid reasons for not doing so, unknown to us at the moment too. Who knows. But yes, she's not a " new found friend ", not about to become one either, so that seems sort of a given and irrelevant to anything, really. My reply was that she's doing her job, and its nice to see she might be attending her 1st DCI show this summer.

I can agree.

AS far as Dan. I don't know about granting interviews. There's a lot that can come out of that and not good. Not that bad things should not be exposed. IMO I think Dan's job is now just to do what he can to clean up aisle 3 and make sure there aren't any slick bananas causing potential injuries:bored:/ With the help of ALL directors which is where the closest contacts are made.

25 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Not unless DCI thinks it has the pull of the Pittsburgh politician who apparently just got the editor of a local weekly paper fired for investigating him.

Politicians are a special breed of cat. The laws of state, local, fed., don't apply to them.... lol. They don't even subject themselves to many of the laws they pass and impose upon the rest of us.. lol.  Dan A. and the rest of DCI BOD  have no such status/ political leverage in our society. They're just smucks like the rest of us.

I see no harm in Dan A granting this reporter future short span interviews. Whats to hide ? On the other hand, he might have valid reasons for shunning her requests. Can't make an assessment here on this, without knowing the reasons why he is now rejecting her requests for interviews. Its a change in his position. That much seems clear anyway. He has granted her interviews with him before. Why the change of heart now ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

offenders yes find them..enablers? I have no doubt you could be talking hundreds through the activity. Timelines can also be an issue. Times are very different than they were even a few years ago. Rape, of course, is a whole different thing no matter the time.

As far as Cadets it's probably the safest, most transparent, cautious corps out there this year.

Heck... maybe thousands, depending on how many years you go back.  Like you said... timeline is a factor here. 

What was tolerated 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago... no longer is.

In the years to come, I hope any organization that deals with youth... whether it be drum corps, cheerleading, or whatever... is fully aware of the reality that exists today.  Among other things...  don't hire the person with the questionable background. Period.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I can agree.

AS far as Dan. I don't know about granting interviews. There's a lot that can come out of that and not good. Not that bad things should not be exposed. IMO I think Dan's job is now just to do what he can to clean up aisle 3 and make sure there aren't any slick bananas causing potential injuries:bored:/ With the help of ALL directors which is where the closest contacts are made.

Dealing successfully with adversarial interviews is a mine field.  To do it well, you need constant practice - In a previous life (at Pentagon) we often worked late into the night developing PowerPoint slides with all the tough questions and suggested replies for General Officers testifying before Congress the next day (usually briefing them at 0530 (or 0600 if we got lucky)).  And Generals are very smooth talking politicians - they are groomed over years & sometimes decades.

Unless Dan A has a staff & plenty of time to prep, coordinate and make sure proposed replies pass legal muster I think it is wise to avoid talking w/ press at this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BigW said:

Someone here said PA seems to have the toughest set of checks for individuals. PSP Background check, the Child Abuse check, and the FBI fingerprint check. It's a PITA, but, it does seem to help.

Can confirm. Working for the Cadets this season. Can't join the corps until all 3 background clearances listed above are completed and approved.

• Like 5