Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Because despite the #### she’s seen, now she can see the good

still don't get it but thats ok.

remember she's a drum corps outsider..who on the outside really cares about the activity. Guess I am not as trusting as many

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And that's terrible. But (1) the example of George Hopkins shows that people not reporting harassment and assault happens a lot, (2) it is widely agreed that false accusations are much less common than true accusations, and (3) in Moody's case, we know for a fact that he did what he was accused of.

I agree as far as the staff person BUT there have been plenty of the false accusations ( specifically of member to member, member to staff, and even beyond that)

they are very different situations I guess

23 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I agree as far as the staff person BUT there have been plenty of the false accusations ( specifically of member to member, member to staff, and even beyond that)

they are very different situations I guess

I have never surveyed drum corps and false accusations, and perhaps there are more false accusations made in drum corps than society at large, but I have never seen research that supports that a large number of accusations made are false. Actually the opposite is true. It is usually believed that far more accusations are not made. Also about 50% of accusations made are withdrawn, but not necessarily because they are false. Proving accusations without witnesses or DNA evidence is difficult. 

9 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I have never surveyed drum corps and false accusations, and perhaps there are more false accusations made in drum corps than society at large, but I have never seen research that supports that a large number of accusations made are false. Actually the opposite is true. It is usually believed that far more accusations are not made. Also about 50% of accusations made are withdrawn, but not necessarily because they are false. Proving accusations without witnesses or DNA evidence is difficult. 

Well, I've taught this activity a very long time at every level and every aspect of it and there isn't 1 year that goes by I don't have to have this discussion. Now as I said this I am talking about is member to member or other configurations. I am not talking about HOP or others. Victims need to be believed for sure but there have been situations like Jeff brought up that has happened.

I have come across some pretty savvy members with this topic. Just saying... this does not say people should not be believed but there is for sure another part of this conversation that has not been said. Jeff's situation can also bring that to light I suppose.

Youre right about many accusations being withdrawn for several reasons and not because they are false but some are for sure and an accusation alone can ruin a person.

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

still don't get it but thats ok.

remember she's a drum corps outsider..who on the outside really cares about the activity. Guess I am not as trusting as many

Yes, she's an " outsider ". its a shame that it took an outsider to do what the DCI insiders needed to have done a long , long time ago.

She's terrific. Can't shoot the messenger here. She's simply doing her job. 'Glad to hear its being also reported she might attend her first DCI show this summer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daktubalan said:

Well I would’ve told parents that’s the thing. They took a chance. Do you think really no one was on guard for the past 6 years? Lol. Which of course I would’ve had people on guard. Don’t think for once they weren’t watching him lol. If he does it again of course termination and announcement. 

Why not just forgive him again? I understand you're young, which makes it likely that you haven't had as much experience as many. So I'm trying to take a patient approach. 

Recidivism rates of adults that violate sexual boundaries is significantly high. High enough that we have learned that second chances in high risk scenarios (and high stakes scenarios) are simply  not worth it. Period. Forgive all you want. Witness and embrace them within your church if you feel like it. But putting him back into this environment is not the definition of forgiveness. It does neither him nor potential victims any good.

As someone with real experience and training enacting Safety Plans around potential violators I urge you to understand something. Untrained people, good leaders or not, have no business trying to engage in such processes. It is a specialized area and you have no idea what you don't know. It is incredibly naive and dangerous.

As we have seen played out in many subcultures and communities that have attempted to self police.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Lance said:

I'm a public school teacher, so that makes sense. 

Someone here said PA seems to have the toughest set of checks for individuals. PSP Background check, the Child Abuse check, and the FBI fingerprint check. It's a PITA, but, it does seem to help.

• Like 2

Just now, BRASSO said:

Yes, she's an " outsider ". its a shame that it took an outsider to do what the DCI insiders needed to have done a long , long time ago.

She's terrific. Can't shoot the messenger here. She's simply doing her job. 'Glad to hear its being also reported she might attend her first DCI show this summer.

yes you are right. Not shooting the messenger. I am not so glad about going to a show. Don't get why or what it has to do with what her job is. She's a reporter, not a new found friend. At least not with the important subject at hand. ( which I give her full credit for ) As I said no need to further the subject, it's just my opinion which I will and are very willing to change my mind but not right now. 

2 hours ago, Daktubalan said:

I agree consensual and sensual is just as bad ...

The opposite of "consensual" is "nonconsensual", not "sensual."  Just in case it's on the SAT....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So imagine this: you're in charge of Crossmen. You give Moody a second chance. You don't tell members and their parents what he'd done in the past. No one is on guard in case he does it again. And then he goes and does it again.

In that scenario, what's your responsibility?

I think it may be well more than a responsibility- it could be Criminal Negligence.

Just wait until prosecutors or DA's office rolls in - with all of this in the news (DCI, Nasser, Cosby, Weinstein, etc) I would be stunned if they are not looking at potential indictments, at least in some cases (I know there are evidentiary rules, statutes of limitations , et al).  They usually play their cards real close to their chest...

Brace for Ram

PS - I wonder how many fans / alums are willing to contribute to a GoFundMe page for attorney fees 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1