Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

Just now, BRASSO said:

... or a potential PR disaster in the Left Wing City of San Antonio for that matter.

Actually though, the political bent of a region, state, city is irrelevant to any of this as a potential PR disaster, imo.

not necessarily. in Some areas, like in PA, all sorts of people have been nosing around about YEA once the accusations broke. Texas, it'd take a lot of noise to get some to dig in if need be because politically, that's not their hot topic issue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

He stepped down so as not to be a distraction for the DCI board. It is not an indication or admission of wrong doing. It is a recognition that his continued leadership would be a distraction "rather than to have my decisions within the corps cast aspersions on the larger DCI organization." He will remain the director of the Crossmen.

Well, then what he fails to understand is that his decisions within the corps DO reflect badly on the larger DCI organization. And I thought  people were posting on how smart he is. Not from what I see. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

Well, a non-corps director as Chair of the BoD is a great start at changing the way DCI operates.  I have always (and I mentioned earlier in this thread) said that DCI being here by the corps and for the corps makes for a difficult business setup.  A very closely held, controlled business environment to say the least.  Maybe, just maybe, we are seeing some of the changes that could possibly help the entire activity not just survive beyond us old folks, but thrive!  

And no, I am not wearing my rose colored glasses here. I am just taking an optimistic view for now.  They still have a  huge amount of work ahead of them, and many more difficult subjects/areas to change.  It wont be easy, but I like the start.  Just horrible that it had to start as a result of horrible behavior by some of the adult leaders.

Mike

The only drum corps that has a board I know at least some members is Boston Crusaders. Those I know, which is just a sampling, did march or have some affiliation with drum corps but in the outside world have a variety of professional jobs that are wide ranging. It’s no accident that a strong board with dynamic leaders is why BAC survived and has thrived. What the DCI board should have at this point are human service professionals who preferably have children of drum corps age. They not only know the impact of sexual abuse and misconduct professionally, they can also apply the “what if it’s my kid?” to the situation. Business folks know the workplace standards and can help bring tactful but decisive in tough situations. Maybe these folks are already part of the board, and if they are, they need to be viewed as problem solvers and not folks who do not understand.

I have learned from both successes and failures a broad ranging board solves problems and gets things done, an insular board, even if filled with great folks, are often too close to the situation. They are great when things go well, but when a problem arises, can be ineffective. 

Any drum corps board should have a mix of business leaders, educators, youth workers, community leaders (head of the Y, scouting, clergy people, etc.) and of course folks who know drum corps. Balance is important and a variety of voices can bring about good results.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

then he needs to be a helluva lot more forthcoming and be prepared to deal with a lot of #### flung his way.

good intentions aside, for 6 years he had a guy on admin/staff that had lost his teaching license for sex texting students and was not once forthcoming about it to parents and students, and former staff have expressed they were rebuffed when raising concerns or realized it was pointless to raise concerns. While nothing potentially criminal ( that we know of) like in the YEA situation, it's a PR disaster, even in a right wing state like Texas

He's lucky he didn't get arrested and charged with child enticement. I'm surprised it wasn't considered a criminal act. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

If true, DCI will also have had its 1st Chairperson of the DCI Board of Directors that is a Women. I don't believe Mary Pesceone served as Chair in the early years of DCI.

Definitely true, and no, Mary Pesceone was the office manager, never a member of the Board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

If true, DCI will also have had its 1st Chairperson of the DCI Board of Directors that is a Women. I don't believe Mary Pesceone served as Chair in the early years of DCI.

26 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Believe you are correct.  BTW -  go take a look at what Don P. said re this topic on the DCP Facebook page.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

not necessarily. in Some areas, like in PA, all sorts of people have been nosing around about YEA once the accusations broke. Texas, it'd take a lot of noise to get some to dig in if need be because politically, that's not their hot topic issue

Within the last month alone, Jeff :

https://www.thecut.com/2018/04/blake-farenthold-resignation-sexual-harassment.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

He's lucky he didn't get arrested and charged with child enticement. I'm surprised it wasn't considered a criminal act. 

it was right after that time that how those dismissals were handled began to change. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Morrison stepped down as Chair, not sure if he's still one of the six affiliated directors on the Board. Cathy Black, one of the three unaffiliated Directors, is the new Chair, which marks the first time a non-corps director has been in that position.

Now reported on Twitter. Resigned from DCI board. (Note: Link is to the original article. Nothing new there in the paper.)

https://twitter.com/TriciaNadolnystatus/997490700051763200