Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

2 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Don't have to go that far back.  I'm aware of at least one open relationship between a 21 year old guard and a 20-something staff at a WC corps during the 2015 season, that no one apparently thought was strange.

I know one from 2016.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eleran said:

It brings up a problem I pointed out in another thread:   a couple that marches together, but is separated by a year, and then the age-out comes back to tech with the corps the following season ... it seems that no one wants to break up what is clearly a consensual, and adult, relationship.  Nevertheless, if I were running the corps, I'd have to say "It really sucks, and I'm sorry, but you need to go tech for a different corps this season, until your significant other ages out; I can't have staff and members in relationships".

I agree. They are two good friends of mine and I still thought it was ill-advised. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Don't have to go that far back.  I'm aware of at least one open relationship between a 21 year old guard and a 20-something staff at a WC corps during the 2015 season, that no one apparently thought was strange.

There hasn't been 1 year going back decades maybe pre DCI that corps haven't seen this. Early on in the thread I also said there have been plenty that were also married to a staff member,( a 19 or 20 year old and staff older ) I also said as recently as last year I went to one of these weddings. It happens especially when you have staff under 30 and members over 18 and WC now is not like bitd and most corps in WC are older with few under. I had a discussion on this a few weeks ago with a lower WC corps and their members are much younger and they said they for sure have a very different set of rules.

Now before the pitch forks and torches come out what is being said is a different subject that overlaps. This is NOT about the crimes allegedly  committed

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Eleran said:

It brings up a problem I pointed out in another thread:   a couple that marches together, but is separated by a year, and then the age-out comes back to tech with the corps the following season ... it seems that no one wants to break up what is clearly a consensual, and adult, relationship.  Nevertheless, if I were running the corps, I'd have to say "It really sucks, and I'm sorry, but you need to go tech for a different corps this season, until your significant other ages out; I can't have staff and members in relationships".

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I agree. They are two good friends of mine and I still thought it was ill-advised. 

DCI put out NEW code of conduct and ethics guidelines yesterday..I think THAT nips this particular side discussion in the bud...see page 8 for quote...Will there be any teeth in the bite or consequences to the corps?...it remains to be seen...

"...DCI strictly prohibits and expects that each organization has policies in place that prohibits consensual romantic or sexual relationships and sexual activity of any nature between the staff and staff volunteers of any participating organizations and the organization's participants, regardless of their ages. This prohibition extents through the full tenure of a participants' involvement in DCI-related activities."

https://www.dci.org/news/dci-board-of-directors-updates-sweeping-code-of-conduct-ethics-guidelines

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

DCI put out NEW code of conduct and ethics guidelines yesterday..I think THAT nips this particular side discussion in the bud...see page 8 for quote...Will there be any teeth in the bite or consequences to the corps?...it remains to be seen...

"...DCI strictly prohibits and expects that each organization has policies in place that prohibits consensual romantic or sexual relationships and sexual activity of any nature between the staff and staff volunteers of any participating organizations and the organization's participants, regardless of their ages. This prohibition extents through the full tenure of a participants' involvement in DCI-related activities."

https://www.dci.org/news/dci-board-of-directors-updates-sweeping-code-of-conduct-ethics-guidelines

Good words.  I am curious how this will be enforced?  Will Corps self-police?  What if Corps A thinks Corps B is violating rules/policy somehow?  May have partly answered my own question - This needs to be put in the DCI Rule Book (Blue Book) as Disqualifiable Offence for rest of current season and at least the following season (and no $$ from DCI to you).   Maybe base the wording on the member age requirements as I believe that is the only other rule that can lead to a DQ.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Because DFTK apparently needs to be written in a rule book somewhere

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Double post

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Didn't even know there was a facility there. Well, there's Prince Gallitzin State Park.....

Wonder if that is SCI Loretto. Have a (not distant enough relative) in law of an in law there. Both are in  Cambria county. Could always send them out shoveling snow off the road that goes over the frigging mountain. Need a road trip to Indiana PA as can't remember if 22 or 422.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Cosby, Sandusky, & George...

I liked them better when Neil Young was in the group. 

• Haha 6