Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

It brings up a problem I pointed out in another thread:   a couple that marches together, but is separated by a year, and then the age-out comes back to tech with the corps the following season ... it seems that no one wants to break up what is clearly a consensual, and adult, relationship.  Nevertheless, if I were running the corps, I'd have to say "It really sucks, and I'm sorry, but you need to go tech for a different corps this season, until your significant other ages out; I can't have staff and members in relationships".

There was a recently aged out tech that was in a relationship with a soon-to-age-out member when I was at Sky. I also thought it wasn’t very professional but no one seemed to (outwardly) care, that I knew of. (Maybe behind the scenes it was a different story, I don’t know.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, year1buick said:

There was a recently aged out tech that was in a relationship with a soon-to-age-out member when I was at Sky. I also thought it wasn’t very professional but no one seemed to (outwardly) care, that I knew of. (Maybe behind the scenes it was a different story, I don’t know.)

Usually, the problems that come up have nothing to do with the allegations in this thread but often the issues are that the member thinks they have some special privilege because of the staff person OR other members at least think that. Among other issues.

I have had worse problems with so-called adults in all age corps with this situation.

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Thank you... but DCA is well on its way toward replacing me!!!  :tongue:

Doesn't matter... the world certainly won't spin off its axis If I'm not announcing DCA shows.  LOL.

No someone else will be announcing but they can’t replace you

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

or his wardrobe:blink:lol

Hey now... I've gone conservative in recent years.  LOL.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder if that is SCI Loretto. Have a (not distant enough relative) in law of an in law there. Both are in  Cambria county. Could always send them out shoveling snow off the road that goes over the frigging mountain. Need a road trip to Indiana PA as can't remember if 22 or 422.

US-22. Could also be Loretto, they're close.

• Thanks 1

When I marched, we had a few former Crossman members in our line.  Most were female...

Although they didn't say anything that would put them to the level of YEA, they DID often mention a horrible culture between some staff and female members.  Nothing discussed really demanded reporting or possible action, however, the culture was so unwelcoming to these females that they were motivated to move homes. 

That was a few years ago, so it's interesting to now read these articles...

It does raise a question about the culture of drum corps on the inside.

Edited by goodmello
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, goodmello said:

When I marched, we had a few former Crosmsman members in our line.  Most were female...

Although they didn't say anything that would put them to the level of YEA, they DID often mention a horrible culture between some staff and female members.  Nothing discussed really demanded reporting or possible action, however, the culture was so unwelcoming to these females that they were motivated to move homes. 

That was a few years ago, so it's interesting to now read these articles...

It does raise a question about the culture of drum corps on the inside.

Thank you for sharing that.  It is distressing to me that in this new age of awareness, that people can still behave this way. 

It is a privilege and honor to teach these young people.  I wish some people would treat it as such.  

• Thanks 2