2018 Uniforms!

We tend to be visual creatures. I wonder how loyal we'll be to our favorite corps when they start looking completely different each and every year? Some variation works, like Phantom changing colors or some variations, but they still looked like Phantom. Maybe we'll just experiment in extremes for a couple years and settle in on what works. Maybe it will all look as silly as marching tympanis a few years down the road. Or maybe "standard" uniforms are as likely to return as G bugles.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

We tend to be visual creatures. I wonder how loyal we'll be to our favorite corps when they start looking completely different each and every year? Some variation works, like Phantom changing colors or some variations, but they still looked like Phantom. Maybe we'll just experiment in extremes for a couple years and settle in on what works. Maybe it will all look as silly as marching tympanis a few years down the road. Or maybe "standard" uniforms are as likely to return as G bugles.

I agree. Something valuable is lost by the frequent changing of appearance. I miss the iconic uniforms that identified each corps. Sic transit gloria mundi. 

• Like 2

My two favorite uniforms so far are the following, the SCV uniform, it's simple and complements the show concept and design and The Academy, looks like a prep school uniform with modifications, but it's super clean and sleak and it compliments all the members. 

For me, these "uniforms" this season may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I am not saying I will stop paying any attention to DCI - I have been avidly following it for over 30 years. But when DCI is becoming WGI on a football, my interest wanes. Yes, I am old school. To me, DCI peaked in the 80s and 90s. But I rolled with the punches through the 00s when electronics took the activity down a path that has resulted in major changes to what it is - a decline IMO. I have put up with the singing, the pianos, the guitars, the sound effects. etc. I have tolerated and, in some cases, come to like the stage pieces that has cluttered the football field and detracted from the drill. I have lived with the checklist of swaying, rolling on the ground, etc. that all corps seem to insert into each show, all transforming the movement from marching more toward dance and performance "art." Despite all that, I accepted that corps could still be great in the "new" system even if I personally don't consider that level of greatness on par with the 80s and 90s. But with the Bluecoats "color guard unis" two years ago, things have fallen apart FAST. 

To me, DCI is not just about the music otherwise, corps would just sit in chair and play a concert. I love the visual aspect, especially the look of the corps. Seeing the crisp uniforms and headgear, juxtaposed against the themed color guard attire was a look that screamed DCI to me. Despite some tweaks in unis, you could tell who the old-line corps were. Some almost never changed at all. Though I am not a big Cadets fan, they held to their look, for the most part, the entire 30-plus years of the activity while I have been a fan. But when I pulled up their uni photos last night (I have been traveling the first week and a half of the season, so I have been a little out of the loop) I was shocked by what I saw. When they have completely abandoned tradition, I knew DCI has moved to a phase where it is getting close to unrecognizable to the activity I loved for so long. I love the Blue Devils, but they can't seem to keep a look either and this year, they largely abandoned their classic blue on black that has at least been pretty consistent.

I already have tickets to the Southeastern championship and I would not consider skipping it. I also plan to hit the lot at a local show in metro Atlanta next week. I had toyed with making a trip to Indy for the first time since 2014, but, due to waning interest and other reasons, that is now off the table. I am just not excited like I normally am. I am still checking scores, but I don't feel that same drive to look at late scores first thing every morning. Maybe that will change in the next few weeks. I expect to subscribe to FloMarching again now that I am back home and can stream shows, so we will see what my impression is Saturday night. I do think many of the musical books this year and over the last few years have really improved over five to 10 years ago. However, maybe this is the year, where I just check on Finals scores the next morning as I spend July looking forward more to the start of college football than I do to DCI Finals. I am sure DCI won't miss me or any other of the old guard that may lose interest, but I already miss the DCI I loved for years.

Edited by FinanceBuzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2018 at 8:55 AM, Cadevilina Crown said:

Jersey Surf:

In what dimension are we in where Jersey Surf has classier looking uniforms than the likes of BAC and Crown lol

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

In what dimension are we in where Jersey Surf has classier looking uniforms than the likes of BAC and Crown lol

The lesson to be learned here is that if you’re going to go the costume route, it should be a clean, simple, yet effective look. I feel like some of today’s designers are guilty of overdesigning corps uniforms, as if they’re trying to outdo each other. The end result often is uniforms that look amazing/detailed up close, but fall flat from far away.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

The lesson to be learned here is that if you’re going to go the costume route, it should be a clean, simple, yet effective look. I feel like some of today’s designers are guilty of overdesigning corps uniforms, as if they’re trying to outdo each other. The end result often is uniforms that look amazing/detailed up close, but fall flat from far away.

Sometimes, tho, those design details are more for the members to help bring the show out.

29 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Digital printing is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. It's like handing a tube of cake frosting to both an experienced pastry chef and an 8-year old. 

The trained chef will create a tasteful masterpiece with just the right amount of decoration. The kid will end up covering the entire kitchen in buttercream.

What's the difference? RESTRAINT. Some people are not good at editing their ideas. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Those 2 look good BUT the red comes off a little cheap and design could be a bit more creative. Love Crown but is a bit over designed

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1