Pasadena, CA - June 30, 2018

15 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

What corps had American Gothic in their show one year? I am sure I remember this happening...

IDK -- but I'd hazard a guess:  Jersey Surf or Velvet Knights. Maybe Star?

3 hours ago, Jake W. said:

i don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but it's worth noting that Mandarins HANDILY beat BK in visual. Don't get me wrong, I know that's BK's weakness and that this would be a different story if we were talking about BK's searing, drool-inducing hornline, but still....Mandarins just behind last year's 8th place corps, who is also starting incredibly strong, and solidly over them in a full caption and 5/6 visual sub captions. I mean...Jesus. Mandarins clearly intend to prove that they want to become a mainstay of the Saturday night show. Couldn't be happier for the season this corps is having.

When will Blue Knights decide that visual is as important as music and arrangements? I keep predicting them to make a run at a medal, and every year they seem to have decided the visual part of the program two weeks before the kids walk into spring training.

3 hours ago, Standing O said:

Well we must of had a earthquake last night.  Jones and Stone had SCV up! Imagine that!.  Not sure what planet Chumley was on but hope fully he will see the light and lose his blue team bias!  It was apparent that BD had some issues with there samples last night in addition to some of the unfinished transitions that they continue to get awarded for.  Come on judges, the spread should not have been this close with obvious unfinished sections of the BD show.  Not sure how Soloman could have BD content over SCV in color guard, I guess those world class hair flips are worth a lot.

Would luv to know just how much that SLOWLY rotating stage cost and how that got rolled down to the member fees for Mandarins.

lol hilarious, especially since SCV still is trotting out an unfinished show right now

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Standing O said:

Well we must of had a earthquake last night.  Jones and Stone had SCV up! Imagine that!.  Not sure what planet Chumley was on but hope fully he will see the light and lose his blue team bias!  It was apparent that BD had some issues with there samples last night in addition to some of the unfinished transitions that they continue to get awarded for.  Come on judges, the spread should not have been this close with obvious unfinished sections of the BD show.  Not sure how Soloman could have BD content over SCV in color guard, I guess those world class hair flips are worth a lot.

Would luv to know just how much that SLOWLY rotating stage cost and how that got rolled down to the member fees for Mandarins.

What does tour fees have anything to do with the Rose Bowl show????

Member fees doesn't cover the costs of operating a corps.

40 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Never mind. I may be thinking of a production of The Music Man that I saw.

Yep -- on TCM just the other day. 

I get that tour fees do not particularly pay the judges but it is implied that they will be there and when the parent organization does not care if they are creating an equal playing field that is a problem. With scores broken down to hundredths of a point input from the judges in week 2 instead of week 5 impacts the overall achievement. It's been an issue for years and should be addressed. Last year when Dan Acheson was interviewed about FLO he said he wished he could work these kids every night but is not fostering a fair and balanced approach which is short sighted and non-inclusive.

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

I get that tour fees do not particularly pay the judges but it is implied that they will be there and when the parent organization does not care if they are creating an equal playing field that is a problem. With scores broken down to hundredths of a point input from the judges in week 2 instead of week 5 impacts the overall achievement. It's been an issue for years and should be addressed. Last year when Dan Acheson was interviewed about FLO he said he wished he could work these kids every night but is not fostering a fair and balanced approach which is short sighted and non-inclusive.

I believe that this issue was addressed in their last meeting and the decision was to go to full panels for all competitions starting in 2019.  I'm not sure why they didn't begin the policy this year, but if I had to guess, it would be related to money.  Folks agree with you that this is needed, and a solution has been agreed to, just not implemented as soon as  you (or I) would have liked.  But, I'm willing to believe that DCI is moving in the right direction.

• Like 1

Thank You That's Good News. Agree it's always about the money still could have been fair if all the full panels kicked in at the same time of the season, may have even saved more money and been inclusive. However the way it has been administered (over many years) it is anything but inclusive constantly favoring the west. I get the money part but there may be more than that? Ironic that I do not even stay/watch the scores they are all winners on my sheet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Standing O said:

Fun Fact: A Mandarins parent took the artistic rendering, developed the technical specs, and built it.     

If only more corps harnessed the talents they had within their family.   

• Like 4