DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Bluecoats lost their "integration" medal in my book with that new closer. I'd give it to the Cadets now this year. 

Wait, what did they do??? I thought the closer was perfect as it was.

I bought that tool chest for my shop at work

should have waited a couple more weeks I could have gotten it on the cheap and helped out a corps:sigh:

Something I keep noticing is that after all these years of amplifying the front ensemble and soloists, is nobody has gotten the balance between amplified and acoustic sounds right on a consistent basis.  Most noticeable is that the FE almost always too loud in soft moments (backfield or piano hornline dynamics and solos). Aside from any issues with musicality is the fact that it distracts from the music and show and brings attention to the technology because it sounds so unnatural. Unless the intent is to present an electronic voice of some sort or feature the FE, the overall balance and effect should mimic that of an acoustic ensemble sound. The technology shouldn’t draw attention to itself unless the desired effect requires it in a specific moment. 

I havent been on the design and education side of the activity for a few years now, but I would love to see DCI bring in som big time sound designers from other activities and provide more workshop opportunities for designers and staff that are accessible for all corps in order to better integrate the electronics (and other tech). I know some similar things have been done when the directors meet in the off-season, but I would love to see more extensive high level  professional development opportunities for staff members from all corps and think it would really elevate the activity and experience for performers and audiences alike. 

• Like 1

Cool to see the 3 Pulse guys in the BS snare line doing so well.

• Like 1