Flo Guy FIRED for Sexist Remarks

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Yes. Which is why this man was fired. 

However what EricS is speaking on is the subtle culture and attitude. It may not be explicit but it still, consciously or not, influences people's decisions and actions. 

He is not suggesting that people should get in trouble for their thoughts. Instead, he is saying that swift action like Flo took will promote people to think about these thoughts and why they are wrong. The less these thoughts pervade someone's conscience, the less likely these thoughts will show up in someone's attitude and actions. 

Thank you for a more complete thought. 

The problem still stands with your comment as well, though.

I'm just not comfortable with the phrase 'these thoughts and why they are wrong.' Thoughts by themselves are neither wrong nor right. They may be based in reality or may have no basis in reality. They should be tested against reality, but they are not evil in and of themselves.

It's not evil to have a thought that an all-male Corps can drive harder than a co-ed group. It does however fly against the face of the evidence. If someone is presented with evidence and refuses to believe it, I think that is much more culpable.

For the record, I have no beef with flomarching for deciding they don't want this guy representing them. I also think he's wrong in his belief that an all male Corps can drive harder than a co-ed group.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Yes. Which is why this man was fired. 

Exactly, no extra sensitivity training no counseling just hard nose zero tolerance (unless your connected like the Olym Doc). Careless comments hold more weight than photo evidence of malfeasance that they had 2 years before any justice occurred. I can accept zero tolerance to a point if it was applied fairly and actually helped victims like the Olympic kids just feelings being hurt. The publicity it ganders makes tons & tons more people aware than the market share FLO had last night. So to make things better we need to hurt more people, we're being played. Anyone buying into this zero thing having any chance of helping needs to reread 1984. Enough said, reporting news right after a drum corps show, when the music is still bouncing around in my head is something I won't miss. I now have motivation to get up from the chair go to my lap top and shut it off.

1 minute ago, mfrontz said:

Thank you for a more complete thought. 

The problem still stands with your comment as well, though.

I'm just not comfortable with the phrase 'these thoughts and why they are wrong.' Thoughts by themselves are neither wrong nor right. They may be based in reality or may have no basis in reality. They should be tested against reality, but they are not evil in and of themselves.

It's not evil to have a thought that an all-male Corps can drive harder than a co-ed group. It does however fly against the face of the evidence. If someone is presented with evidence and refuses to believe it, I think that is much more culpable.

For the record, I have no beef with flomarching for deciding they don't want this guy representing them. I also think he's wrong in his belief that an all male Corps can drive harder than a co-ed group.

I think that is a fair assessment. While it is true that thinking as such isn't inherently evil, I do think it is justifiable for there to be punishment when these thoughts start to pervade into one's actions. It is why we have morals and values after all, and these morals/values have changed as more awareness has been brought on the topic through studies and a greater understanding of each other. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I think that is a fair assessment. While it is true that thinking as such isn't inherently evil, I do think it is justifiable for there to be punishment when these thoughts start to pervade into one's actions. It is why we have morals and values after all, and these morals/values have changed as more awareness has been brought on the topic through studies and a greater understanding of each other. 

I'll have to think about that. :wink:

3 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Exactly, no extra sensitivity training no counseling just hard nose zero tolerance (unless your connected like the Olym Doc). Careless comments hold more weight than photo evidence of malfeasance that they had 2 years before any justice occurred. I can accept zero tolerance to a point if it was applied fairly and actually helped victims like the Olympic kids just feelings being hurt. The publicity it ganders makes tons & tons more people aware than the market share FLO had last night. So to make things better we need to hurt more people, we're being played. Anyone buying into this zero thing having any chance of helping needs to reread 1984. Enough said, reporting news right after a drum corps show, when the music is still bouncing around in my head is something I won't miss. I now have motivation to get up from the chair go to my lap top and shut it off.

Are we really comparing a zero tolerance policy for sexism and racism to 1984? Really? You're better than that. 

Edited by Cappybara

Flo needs to hire Darren Delaney to go the studio show

15 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Are we really comparing a zero tolerance policy for sexism and racism to 1984? Really? You're better than that. 

Yes I am. It's all propaganda and double speak. The man could have been let go under a non-disclosure agreement. The comments didn't need to be pasted all over the place. That part is nothing more than pushing more social hot buttons and is intended to do more harm than good. I think we're being played, some may think differently. FLO didn't need to apologize threating us like some dummies that can't tell what comes out of an individuals mouth is not their collective thought. Give me another example where the average person can't tell individual thought from collective thought. They hired him because he had knowledge they didn't it was just a job he didn't join the Borg.

Edited by Bluzes
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Yes I am. It's all propaganda and double speak. The man could have been let go under a non-disclosure agreement. The comments didn't need to be pasted all over the place. That part is nothing more than pushing more social hot buttons and is intended to do more harm than good. I think we're being played, some may think differently. FLO didn't need to apologize threating us like some dummies that can't tell what comes out of an individuals mouth is not their collective thought. Give me another example where the average person can't tell individual thought from collective thought. They hired him because he had knowledge they didn't it was just a job he didn't join the Borg.

1. The man himself apologized on social media. Flo may have put out an apology, but let's not act like they're the only ones who are posting about this

2. Putting out an official apology is just good business. It is better to show that you care than to ignore the incident altogether

3. I honestly don't know what you mean by letting him go under a non-disclosure agreement. Are you meaning to say Flo lets him go but doesn't officially say he was fired? Wouldn't that just lead to pointless speculation? 

Just now, Cappybara said:

Flo

It's just not flo I think I pointed to a neglected zero tolerance issue where kids were actually harmed. I am saddened at what happened but wonder where this is all going. Zero Tolerance Prison Time, flogging in the public square, fines?

Do we have free speech. Or is it the right not to be offended. I will catch on either way but give me a clue. They are two different things and can't co-exist