Flo Guy FIRED for Sexist Remarks

Running Tally:

Mandarins thread since its 12/07/2017 inception: 15 pages

FLO PC pooch screw thread: 11 pages since its inception yesterday. 

:tugowar:

Edited by TRacer
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Personally, I don't think women are generally so fragile as to be bothered by some silly comment by some guy of little consequence in a lame conversation filler to a bad video stream.

If there was an all female corps and someone had innocently postulated about the potential advantage of, say, women being broader listeners who can better grasp the context and nuances of critical last minute instruction, I seriously doubt they would be out of a job today.

To me, the double standard present in the overreaction to this is sexist and insulting to women.  

and you miss the point entirely.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TRacer said:

Mandarins thread since its 12/07/2017 inception: 15 pages

FLO PC pooch screw thread: 11 pages since its inception yesterday. 

Did that to another thread comparing it to SCVs thread count which is probably just reaching 70 for the season? The lower the better it seems.

well if I must====it's the simpleton fact that the thought entered his mind in the first place.. 

end of conversation!

6 minutes ago, EricS said:

well if I must====it's the simpleton fact that the thought entered his mind in the first place.. 

end of conversation!

Thoughtcrime?

Don't we make judgments based on what people say and do?

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

By all means, enlighten me.

2 hours ago, EricS said:

Personally, I don't think women are generally so fragile as to be bothered by some silly comment by some guy of little consequence in a lame conversation filler to a bad video stream.

Edited by Bluzes
delete

3 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Thoughtcrime?

Don't we make judgments based on what people say and do?

Yes. Which is why this man was fired. 

However what EricS is speaking on is the subtle culture and attitude. It may not be explicit but it still, consciously or not, influences people's decisions and actions. 

He is not suggesting that people should get in trouble for their thoughts. Instead, he is saying that swift action like Flo took will promote people to think about these thoughts and why they are wrong. The less these thoughts pervade someone's conscience, the less likely these thoughts will show up in someone's attitude and actions. 

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

Barbara Maroney of Cadets fame was once asked why the preponderance of middle horn players were female.

(From a 1992 interview in 'The Middle Horn Leader')

SP: OK, here's a sexist question for you, but I've got to ask it. Why do girls make better mellophone players than guys? Do you guys know something we don't?

BM: Are you talking about the age-range for a junior corps?

SP: Yeah.

BM: Boy, I'm going to get killed for this one. I think, at that age, girls are more able to express their emotions.

SP: Wow, I've never even thought about it that way.

BM: I mean, that's the age when they start thinking about themselves and how they look, and that's when they say "Oh, isn't that cat pretty" or "look at the babies" and all of that stuff. The guys are not really there yet. I can even tell in the line, 17 year old girls and the older guys, are about the same level in that kind of thing. For the most part, you get girls in the mellophone line.. Although, I've had some really great guys playing mellophone. The soloist at Garfield was a guy soloist, he was wonderful.

Great find.  Barbara Maroney was awesome and truly inspirational on the whole.  Right or wrong, I appreciate her observation, I don't think she is a sexist or meant it in a bad way, and I hope she didn't lose any jobs for simply expressing it.