Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

The hardest thing to do in the Marching Arts is to Repeat As Champions.

Everyone loves the show that makes a champion (Comes out of nowhere, Is new, fresh, Standard setting in a completely new way), until the following year when, being too similar to the previous year will make you stale, repetitive ... Taking a shot at a completely different direction to "Re-invent yourself" can leave you too experimental and Not-Standard Setting..

Only two designers have consistently won by re-inventing themselves. Scott Chandler and Micheal Gaines.

SCV is lucky to have Michael Gaines and under his vision they have the best shot to Repeat of any Corps outside of BD.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

The hardest thing to do in the Marching Arts is to Repeat As Champions.

Everyone loves the show that makes a champion (Comes out of nowhere, Is new, fresh, Standard setting in a completely new way), until the following year when, being too similar to the previous year will make you stale, repetitive ... Taking a shot at a completely different direction to "Re-invent yourself" can leave you too experimental and Not-Standard Setting..

Only two designers have consistently won by re-inventing themselves. Scott Chandler and Micheal Gaines.

SCV is lucky to have Michael Gaines and under his vision they have the best shot to Repeat of any Corps outside of BD.

I still appreciate Pete Weber’s drill more than Michael Gaines.  But that takes nothing away from SCV’s championship last year, or their ability to repeat!

16 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

I still appreciate Pete Weber’s drill more than Michael Gaines.  But that takes nothing away from SCV’s championship last year, or their ability to repeat!

Drill is one thing but Michael Gaines is absolutely coming up with big picture show ideas that affect and shape the whole corps..

To me there is a definite difference between a drill writer and a designer.. Gaines is a Designer who happens to write the drill as well. 

• Like 1

Have a great summer, Vanguard.

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

Gaines could bring it if he wanted to. That's just not where the activity is these days, unfortunately.

Anyway, this source music is stupid good. I can picture the SCV brassline killing it.

I better not hear a spoken word though, I swear to god...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Gaines could bring it if he wanted to. That's just not where the activity is these days, unfortunately.

Agreed. Last year SCV might not have been the big-picture classic Cavies drill that we were used to Gaines producing, but the 'drill' writing for Babylon was nothing short of genius. The amount of staging, prop movement, and micro-detail in the show is insane.  

6 minutes ago, ComeHomeShane said:

Agreed. Last year SCV might not have been the big-picture classic Cavies drill that we were used to Gaines producing, but the 'drill' writing for Babylon was nothing short of genius. The amount of staging, prop movement, and micro-detail in the show is insane.  

yup the visual world has changed, and Gaines has shown he's still a leader.

• Like 1