The Cadets 2019

On 8/5/2019 at 3:57 PM, Eleran said:

No matter what happens (who stays, who leaves of their own volition, who is asked to leave) ... since in a week everyone's attention will quickly revert to real life, let me say before then:

• Every one of the Cadets staff was trying to bring success to the Cadets in 2019, and for that they deserve our thanks;
  • Special Commendations to: ...

Of course, I knew I'd neglect to name a few special names who also deserved recognition for their unsung, unheralded and often unthanked roles:

• Justin Moore, JP Castro and Jose Wilker Augusto for terrific Administration work (and taking the time to say hello to an old fart who dropped in to see his son)
  • All of the volunteers who fed, drove and otherwise tended to the safety and well-being of our members, including our own @Fan of the Arts who also provided a valuable daily blog for all
Edited by Eleran
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Years ago there was movie called "Stick It".

It had a scene where gymnasts purposely "defaulted" ,to show the judges who was in control in their activity.

They talked about their "fake medals".

The same thing can apply to drum corps.

Play to the sheets and get a wood trophy.

Or play to the audience  and  enjoy the adulation.

I heard this at last weekend's Easts : "if I want art,I go to a museum.

If I want dance,I go to Broadway.

I want Drum Corps, and I'm not getting it tonight."

Also heard this :" All the show designers want to do is please the

Judges.

Keep doing that,and only the Judges will be watching."

Granted the two people who said this marched in the 80's.But if enough corps decide to follow Crown's lead,the sheets can be changed.

Were you at Crown’s rehearsal on Saturday afternoon?  Someone said that EXACT same thing when I was there!

Edited by Tommeee
Spelling

9 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Now THAT was some lame Americana stuff right there. 

at least he didnt have magical moments touching his trumpet

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I LOVE HER!!! Tell her Tekk says hello!

I think it's best to ignore you since you seem to be on some other sh@t. 

i apologize for pointing out truth. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Years ago there was movie called "Stick It".

It had a scene where gymnasts purposely "defaulted" ,to show the judges who was in control in their activity.

They talked about their "fake medals".

The same thing can apply to drum corps.

Play to the sheets and get a wood trophy.

Or play to the audience  and  enjoy the adulation.

I heard this at last weekend's Easts : "if I want art,I go to a museum.

If I want dance,I go to Broadway.

I want Drum Corps, and I'm not getting it tonight."

Also heard this :" All the show designers want to do is please the

Judges.

Keep doing that,and only the Judges will be watching."

Granted the two people who said this marched in the 80's.But if enough corps decide to follow Crown's lead,the sheets can be changed.

It’s funny you should post this now. My impression of this weekend was that the corps are not really playing to the judges.  They are playing according to their personalities and the crowd. When you look back at the so-called “Glory Days” of drum corps, EVERYONE was playing to the judges in pretty much the exact same way (The Cadets just did it better). 

I personally enjoyed Crown’s performance because I loved the sound and the drill (the uniforms, meh). The ovation they got reflected the fact that the Allentown crowd appreciates that style. Surprisingly I also enjoyed Bluecoats performance because it just sounded and looked great (although the drill was clearly not on the level of Crown).  I also liked what Phantom did, although their talent level is not up to their show design  

There were so many different styles represented, it presents a real conundrum for the judges. And there is a risk here for DCI. If they remove the standards, DCI will become like figure skating. All costume and jumps. Impose rigid standards and the attendance may drop off. Not sure how they navigate through it. 

14 hours ago, jonwoody said:

Counting the days until this painful season comes to a end. I wish everyone a great week and hope things turn out the way everyone hopes they do. I have had enough dancing, jumping, running and whatever else they do thinking it is art. The kids deserved better. I am sorry they had to endure a season many will forget by labor day. I hope the future brings joy and contentment to the kids and thank them for giving us everything they possibly could and making us so very proud they hung in there. :thumbup:

To say this season was challenging on the field and off is true enough, but to say the marching members will forget about the season by Labor Day is probably inaccurate. I spoke with some kids after Allentown and they were pretty pumped up and looking forward to Indy. Granted I did not ask about the challenges of the season, but they seemed pretty upbeat. My hope is the challenges of the season will make them stronger individuals and teach them important life lessons. 

• Thanks 1

Note : Cadet fan here...BUT I "ve always admired them because they seemed a bit ahead of the curve innovatively..now they copy, which may or may not be a good thing..I know we can't turn the clock back to 82 or 83, nor do I want to, BUT TAKE A CHANCE at being outrageous..BK may never medal but they take chances.( sometimes it works)..Make your own statement even if it doesn't win ..leave people with something memorable and the rest will take care of itself..peace

• Like 4