ajlemm

2019 Bloooooooooooooocoats

Recommended Posts

I just went back and looked at the shows in late June 2018. At that point Bloo was already  behind Crown and Boston in percussion. That trend obviously continued and was one issue slightly holding them back by finals. It’s exciting to see all captions scoring really consistent and strong! They were actually beating Boston in the first 1/3 of the season in guard and they finished 4th in guard at finals and 2nd at semifinals so I don’t know why people would view that caption as a weakness coming into this year. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

I just went back and looked at the shows in late June 2018. At that point Bloo was already  behind Crown and Boston in percussion. That trend obviously continued and was one issue slightly holding them back by finals. It’s exciting to see all captions scoring really consistent and strong! They were actually beating Boston in the first 1/3 of the season in guard and they finished 4th in guard at finals and 2nd at semifinals so I don’t know why people would view that caption as a weakness coming into this year. 

Us dumb old brass and drum players don't know what we are looking at.

But the concern was really about conceptual writing and content (as it was for the drums last year).  I don't think that the membership or the teaching is weak in guard (I know they are the best and brightest).  The observation that causes concern is that the apparent guard work and its effect seems... maybe... to us dumb old brass and drum players... to possibly be taking a back seat in the writing to other elements of the show design.

Given that their visual numbers last night (including guard) were tracking ahead of the other captions is a good sign that indeed... we are dumb old brass and drum players that don't know what we are looking at.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Us dumb old brass and drum players don't know what we are looking at.

But the concern was really about conceptual writing and content (as it was for the drums last year).  I don't think that the membership or the teaching is weak in guard (I know they are the best and brightest).  The observation that causes concern is that the apparent guard work and its effect seems... maybe... to us dumb old brass and drum players... to possibly be taking a back seat in the writing to other elements of the show design.

Given that their visual numbers last night (including guard) were tracking ahead of the other captions is a good sign that indeed... we are dumb old brass and drum players that don't know what we are looking at.

Hey old Brass and Drum guy! fair point.  IMO the Bloo show this year and last were not written to feature the Guard specifically, even though they are doing great things.  The design was a showcase of all things, creating really strong GE scores.  

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Super Don-O said:

I do hope they keep the "A Day in the Life" piano chord at the end, but let it go about twice as long. It's a brilliant design choice.

Longest chord in Rock and Roll. :43 seconds I believe.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DCM said:

Longest chord in Rock and Roll. :43 seconds I believe.

The best goodbye ever. Sad as it was. 

“And then, the perfect capper, finishing with a song called “The End”, which features alternating guitar solos from John, George, and Paul and a drum solo from Ringo. It was an ideal curtain call from a band that just a few years earlier had been a bunch of punk kids from a nowheresville called Liverpool with more confidence than skill. This is how you finish a career.”

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, DCM said:

Longest chord in Rock and Roll. :43 seconds I believe.

I think :43 seconds might be flirting with some penalties.   😉

But maybe about 10  seconds with it diminishing down to silence sounds about perfect

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Super Don-O said:

I think :43 seconds might be flirting with some penalties.   😉

But maybe about 10  seconds with it diminishing down to silence sounds about perfect

Isn't this how Bluecoats show kind of starts......the opening hit that diminishes over the next 10 seconds or so? 

 

That said, I am totally in love with how the current ending is. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they had the rights, I would have liked for the ending a very low and in the background rumbling of the "Hey Jude" chorus eventually bringing to a crescendo over the "The End" chord. I just want to be able to sing that chorus with everyone at the end!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.