ajlemm

2019 Bloooooooooooooocoats

Recommended Posts

When I marched (early eighties) Bloo was an eastern corps, We would warm up in residential areas around stadiums and the residents would bring chairs and watch all the drum corps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Maybe you should google earth the area around Hamilton high school.

I don’t know how he could determine they were “literally” in her yard. I guess some people see what they want. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m done with this.   I’m glad I’m not a grumpy old woman. 

I tell my wife all the time how I'm so even tempered. I just stay pis*ed off all the time. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what exactly was going on there.

I know it's hard to believe... But we are a small and weird subculture.  For that reason alone, it's important to be mindful and courteous around people's property.  When we come to town, we are essentially 'carnies' to the locals.  So basic manners can go a long way.  If you get set up, mistakenly encroaching on someone's property... you get the heck out of Dodge immediately and as fast as possible... being sure to render a loud apology on your way out... with a big smile on your face.  Drumcorps is not important in the lives of most people, and that doesn't make them jerks.

That interaction appeared (to me) to lack some basic conversation and verification.  It looked like the lady stepped in to inform them of something, and she was met immediately with a shaking head and a 'leave us alone, we have stuff to do' vibe.  That's the cringe-worthy part for me.

It's important to be good guests... even (and perhaps especially) when you are in the right.

I would have asked "is this your yard?... Where is the line?... If we are in your yard, we deeply apologize for the error, we will move right away.  Thank you for approaching us!... Oh we're not actually in your yard? Okay, well we have been given this spot by the people that control this land for this event... so we apologize for the unusual disruption, but you will have to take your concern up with the host."

I know this takes like 30 seconds of effort, but it's worth while to end with the 'jerk' label falling on the right party (if it must at all).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have loved to ask Karen a few questions. 

First things first Karen! Where did you find that beautiful 60’s smock top? 

Excuse me! but you can’t leave the house with your hair looking like last week  sweetie please! 

Love the angry face! Can we get a selfie before you like - leave? 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I don't know what exactly was going on there.

I know it's hard to believe... But we are a small and weird subculture.  For that reason alone, it's important to be mindful and courteous around people's property.  When we come to town, we are essentially 'carnies' to the locals.  So basic manners can go a long way.  If you get set up, mistakenly encroaching on someone's property... you get the heck out of Dodge immediately and as fast as possible... being sure to render a loud apology on your way out... with a big smile on your face.  Drumcorps is not important in the lives of most people, and that doesn't make them jerks.

That interaction appeared (to me) to lack some basic conversation and verification.  It looked like the lady stepped in to inform them of something, and she was met immediately with a shaking head and a 'leave us alone, we have stuff to do' vibe.  That's the cringe-worthy part for me.

It's important to be good guests... even (and perhaps especially) when you are in the right.

I would have asked "is this your yard?... Where is the line?... If we are in your yard, we deeply apologize for the error, we will move right away.  Thank you for approaching us!... Oh we're not actually in your yard? Okay, well we have been given this spot by the people that control this land for this event... so we apologize for the unusual disruption, but you will have to take your concern up with the host."

I know this takes like 30 seconds of effort, but it's worth while to end with the 'jerk' label falling on the right party (if it must at all).

It appeared to me that once they understood the situation, they packed up and moved immediately, which seems to be what she wanted (not further discussion) so as far as I can see they acted appropriately, or at least as well as can be expected in an unexpected moment without the benefit of endless hindsight.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It appeared to me that once they understood the situation, they packed up and moved immediately, which seems to be what she wanted (not further discussion) so as far as I can see they acted appropriately, or at least as well as can be expected in an unexpected moment without the benefit of endless hindsight.

Venues that cannot provide appropriate warm up areas should not be hosting shows. Simple as that. I remember warming up in places like this and I didnt think it was appropriate back then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

Venues that cannot provide appropriate warm up areas should not be hosting shows. Simple as that. I remember warming up in places like this and I didnt think it was appropriate back then. 

So did you speak up back then? If not, what you’re doing right now is what Hockeydad calls virtue signaling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.