Broke-down buses, Ibuprofen and a sex offender: on the road with Pioneer

15 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

He probably is planning to step down. That may be why he's all defensive and doubling down, because he figures he has nothing to lose.

Call me naïve.

Looking at it almost the same way except: nothing to lose so NOT stepping down. And no one else could run the corps so if I can’t do it then no one will

3 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

And by extension they can make it the organization change the governance before allowing them back in to DCI events.

DCI did so with The Troopers in the 2005-2007 time frame. DCI HQ. also " recommended " a new YEA Board there earlier this year, and that " recommendation " by DCI HQ. was heeded there.... fortunately for all, imo.

• Like 1

Just now, BRASSO said:

Another addition to your " best case scenario " is than Roman resigns, then goes quietly into the night from DCI. Then again, maybe the latter is more wishful thinking, who knows. Time will tell. This is an unfolding story, so lots of twists and turns this could take, imo

I considered adding points about banning Roman from DCI participation for life and removing him from the DCI Hall of Fame (along with GH), but I also wanted to keep it within reason.

13 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

With the situations involving the Cadets and Pioneer now becoming known nationally and the rumored "more to follow", how long before DCI as a whole ceases to exist?  When does DCI decide a national summer tour raises too many red flags (social media being what it is these days = "ALL Drum Corps are tainted") and says "to heck with it"?  Maybe Corps (who are still around) do more of a WGI tour -- weekend shows, a Regional or two, and a National Championship.

I'm feeling VERY despondent.  :sad:

With the rumored "more to follow" after Cadets, many expected a domino effect last Spring. I think many of us have heard names and I have heard things, some more credible than others. In order for "more to follow" to happen, you need to have a victim willing to step forward and people who can back up the story and both have to be willing to go on the record.

This does not need to be the end of drum corps. What would be an important step is for each corps that does compete to make sure their safety procedures are in place, and if they re not, the off season is the time to be reviewing procedures and making changes where necessary. Corps with minors need to be reaching out to parents at audition time to make sure they know their son/daughter will be supervised and cared for in case of an emergency. Do not hire folks who would not be hired in a public school system and if you're giving someone a second chance, make sure it's not because of questionable conduct with young people, criminal activity or sex offenses. 

What I have learned, and in some cases what I have learned the hard way, is that when you are proactive, you may take some heat, but in the long run you are viewed as a leader. When you hope things go away, they do not,and can often reach the ;public eye and be impossible to contain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I considered adding points about banning Roman from DCI participation for life and removing him from the DCI Hall of Fame (along with GH), but I also wanted to keep it within reason.

Good decision, imo. Its early yet. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I see a big difference between the two. If RB steps aside, admits there were serious errors made, apologizes, and expresses a willingness to help the corps move forward (help which would never be asked for or accepted by a new director), down the road he could, and notice I said could not will, look like someone who was overwhelmed and in his last years made serious blunders.  The official Pioneer statement and some of what was reported in the paper make me wonder if other issues are at play. This is complete speculation and for good reason, you would not want me as your doctor and MD is not next to my name.  I do not see a scenario where anyone down the road where anyone views GH as a sympathetic figure.

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

I see a big difference between the two. If RB steps aside, admits there were serious errors made, apologizes, and expresses a willingness to help the corps move forward (help which would never be asked for or accepted by a new director), down the road he could, and notice I said could not will, look like someone who was overwhelmed and in his last years made serious blunders.  The official Pioneer statement and some of what was reported in the paper make me wonder if other issues are at play. This is complete speculation and for good reason, you would not want me as your doctor and MD is not next to my name.  I do not see a scenario where anyone down the road where anyone views GH as a sympathetic figure.

Oh boy. It’s literally the opposite 

you don’t know much about pioneer do you?

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Oh boy. It’s literally the opposite 

you don’t know much about pioneer do you?

I’m thinking the comments have to do with not having MD after Tims name. Thinking same thing but saw it first hand so have a bias.

Edited by JimF-LowBari