Broke-down buses, Ibuprofen and a sex offender: on the road with Pioneer

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Actually, the Cadets previous BOD chose to sweep everything under the rug, then dig their heels in over and over when the stories broke... and then resign en masse.  But if you skip over that part, then it is exactly like you said.  

You are correct. But the had to be forced to resign so people who cared about the organization could shepard it forward. What we are seeing now is as you post out... parallels to the old YEA board. The old guard has to go and new people that care about the activity need to be put in place. I do not suggest the DCI board needs to go. But they do need more independent (non director) members since they independent folks seem to be out numbered when trying to create positive change.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Everyone seems to understand  Blenski is gone.

Everyone except Blenski.

He probably is planning to step down. That may be why he's all defensive and doubling down, because he figures he has nothing to lose.

Call me naïve.

9 minutes ago, Legoman said:

This, I think, is a huge problem. From reading all of the news, responses, statements, and such since April, It seems that DCI is (or is at least trying to appear to be) nothing more than an organizer, bringing together various separate entities for specific events. The thought process, and it may have "worked" in the past, is that each corps is an individual business and can run things how they want, with the only form of regulation being blocking access to certain funds or appearances.

By George, I think you've got it!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MusicManNJ said:

You are correct. But the had to be forced to resign so people who cared about the organization could shepard it forward. What we are seeing now is as you post out... parallels to the old YEA board. The old guard has to go and new people that care about the activity need to be put in place. I do not suggest the DCI board needs to go. But they do need more independent (non director) members since they independent folks seem to be out numbered when trying to create positive change.

That momentum is building, IMO

12 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The important thing for all involved is to neither over nor under react 

its important (and sometimes difficult) to separate sjw type “noise” from real, compelling information 

my feeling is that autonomous and responsible, highly capable and engaged BOD at the individual corps organizations have become a must

DCI as the organizing circuit organization needs to expand its vetting process to include a validation of board composition and engagement 

DCI needs a 3rd Party Oversight Organization, imo.. with no one on that 3rd Party Oversight Org. having any experience at all with Drum Corps, Marching Bands,  WGI, DCA, Instrument Mfg.. Uniform Co's, Judges Assoc.. and the like. I'm at the point now, where DCI Hq. nor DCI Member Corps can not be expected to properly police themselves anymore. Its too intertwined now, imo. BUT... this is not my call either too, of course.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

DCI needs a 3rd Party Oversight Organization, imo.. with no one on that 3rd Party Oversight Org. having any experience at all with Drum Corps, Marching Bands,  WGI, DCA, Instrument Mfg.. Uniform Co's, Judges Assoc.. and the like. I'm at the point now, where DCI Hq. nor DCI Member Corps can not be expected to properly police themselves anymore. Its too intertwined now, imo. BUT... this is not my call either too, of course.

At the least an independent regular  external audit process 

I also feel Dan possibly needs to go = fresh eyes 

• Like 3

Best-case scenario:

- Roman and the Pioneer "Board of Advisors" resign (or are kicked out by DCI, which is less likely but could happen)

- Pioneer goes inactive for the 2019 season to focus on making needed organizational changes

- Dan Acheson resigns as DCI Executive Director, and whoever becomes the new ED begins the process of reforming DCI's oversight process

- Pioneer returns to competition in 2020 via SoundSport or Open Class

• Like 2

How does that Sondheim song go...."Finishing the Hat....," sure is looking like the hat is finished here.

9 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

My understanding is that DCI can not remove him... or any other DCI Corps Director, or its BOD, for that matter. That action needs to be taken intenally by the Corps BOD, themselves.  However, it is my understanding that DCI Hq can impose punitive sanctions of Corps, up too and including ousting from DCI participation, until a new Corps Director, or BOD is installed if DCI Hq believes that any single Corps, or single individual(s) is hurting the Brand of DCI, or other DCI  Corps members by their reported actions to DCI Hq. 

And by extension they can make it the organization change the governance before allowing them back in to DCI events.

3 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Best-case scenario:

- Roman and the Pioneer "Board of Advisors" resign (or are kicked out by DCI, which is less likely but could happen)

- Pioneer goes inactive for the 2019 season to focus on making needed organizational changes

- Dan Acheson resigns as DCI Executive Director, and whoever becomes the new ED begins the process of reforming DCI's oversight process

- Pioneer returns to competition in 2020 via SoundSport or Open Class

Another addition to your " best case scenario " is than Roman resigns, then goes quietly into the night from DCI. Then again, maybe the latter is more wishful thinking, who knows. Time will tell. This is an unfolding story, so lots of twists and turns this could take, imo