A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

30 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it removes the "attraction" (for lack of a better word) of minors on tour which could draw the worst of sexual predators into the activity

it simplifies the issue somewhat - removing statutory rape, abuse of a minor, the mixture of minor members with adult members etc..

there is an inherent danger when you mix adults and minors on tour 24/7 

again, I'm not "advocating" this as a solution - I just feel strongly that all possibilities are at least explored and not dismissed without cause

Definitely worth discussing, I agree.

The main reason I disagree with the "25" upper limit... I figure by then, folks should be getting on with their lives.  If you want to devote your weekends/free time to marching all-age or alumni, then have at it. But touring, at age 25?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it removes the "attraction" (for lack of a better word) of minors on tour which could draw the worst of sexual predators into the activity

it simplifies the issue somewhat - removing statutory rape, abuse of a minor, the mixture of minor members with adult members etc..

there is an inherent danger when you mix adults and minors on tour 24/7 

again, I'm not "advocating" this as a solution - I just feel strongly that all possibilities are at least explored and not dismissed without cause

Possibly two divisions?  One over and one under legal age?

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

There are a number of people on here that have a lot more knowledge of the workings of DCI then I do.

After reading Acheson's comments and the posts here and previous threads I have a few questions:

1.Are there specific "violations" that trigger a corps suspension,or can a corps be suspended ,simply by DCI

determining  they have violated DCI's  bylaws,code of conduct etc. ?

2.If DCI decides a corps should be suspended,do DCI's rules have an appeal process,including an outside arbitrator ?

3.Who in DCI makes the decision that a suspension is warranted,i.e, can it be done by the CEO alone or does the 

DCI board have to be  involved ?

4.Here's a question for any lawyers on here:

If there is an accusation involving a minor and an adult,does the fact that corps travel across state lines,

have any impact ?

for 1 and 3....once something is reported, DCI has an investigation mechanism that looks into it. I do not know all of the ins and outs on that, but we do know they met with Pioneer in July, and had a daily check in procedure. As more came to light after that meeting, including stuff that happened after the meeting, DCI made the call to suspend them. I'm sure the BOD has involvement, but it does appear Dan has some leeway to act on his own now. 

2 i honestly don't know. I am sure a corps is able to try and defend themselves, but depending on what DCI has, it may be moot

4....i am sure that may be a consideration

59 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Definitely worth discussing, I agree.

The main reason I disagree with the "25" upper limit... I figure by then, folks should be getting on with their lives.  If you want to devote your weekends/free time to marching all-age or alumni, then have at it. But touring, at age 25?

it's my biggest gripe with WGI that for World Class in guard, they can be any age

23 hours ago, tesmusic said:

So Dan's response from DCI in April took too long, and people take issue with things. This time he makes a statement regarding a new investigation before the reporter has it published, and now it's too early. What do we want? The reporter tweets that she wishes he hasn't, and people are up in arms and defending her. This is almost as bad as politics in the US. Not that I'm defending Dan in the least, but seems like regardless of how he handles any situation people are upset.  

Acheson's response was a dream come true for the reporter. It gave her an opportunity to describe where she is in the story, and state that Acheson had refused to talk to her about it.  

Getting in front of a story can be very smart, but Acheson's perfunctory response harmed nobody but himself and DCI. 

These types of things happen in the marching band world, but the schools they're affiliated have attorneys and dedicated staff for PR when dealing with the press.  Not quite the case with Acheson/DCI, obviously.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lance said:

Acheson's response was a dream come true for the reporter. It gave her an opportunity to describe where she is in the story, and state that Acheson had refused to talk to her about it.  

Getting in front of a story can be very smart, but Acheson's perfunctory response harmed nobody but himself and DCI. 

These types of things happen in the marching band world, but the schools they're affiliated have attorneys and dedicated staff for PR when dealing with the press.  Not quite the case with Acheson/DCI, obviously.   

DCI has an attorney, one with deep ties to the Dept of Education

4 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

It would have been better if Dan actually shared what he knew (ala publishing his own emails). Instead... we get the same things... crickets. Although I thought it was a nice touch trying to deflect anything that may have happened pre-June and the new policies. Like they should not be held accountable for whatever happened in the past... even if they a) knew about it or b) were enablers.

I do think that actions not taken before the Hopkins revelations need to be treated differently than actions not taken after the Hopkins revelations--but not unconditionally excused. If Acheson had been confronted with serious allegations and did nothing, regardless of the fact that (perhaps) the board was preventing him from doing something, then that would show him to have weak morals (hypothetically speaking, if the company where you work enables wrongdoing, you have an ethical obligation to speak out or resign) and thus not be the kind of person who should be leading an organization like DCI. But we just don't know enough yet about the situation.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Lance said:

Actually, she can do those things whenever she wants.  She does not need Acheson to open the door for her.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

you're right and it's also driven the investigators online tons of ammo to go searching for clues.

In the last 24 hours people have messaged me with "Joe Blow is off the Cavies staff page now" or "Heywood Jablowme isn't on SCV's page"  or even "Mike Hunt is off BD's site( and please.....note I am not using real names and I just picked two corps at random, I'm not rumor mongering, i don't have time to go digging through a corps staff listings page)......it's driven the frenzy over time. So now, anything that does come out is even more sensationalized in the event what comes out isn't significant enough. 

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you're right and it's also driven the investigators online tons of ammo to go searching for clues.

In the last 24 hours people have messaged me with "Joe Blow is off the Cavies staff page now" or "Heywood Jablowme isn't on SCV's page"  or even "Mike Hunt is off BD's site( and please.....note I am not using real names and I just picked two corps at random, I'm not rumor mongering, i don't have time to go digging through a corps staff listings page)......it's driven the frenzy over time. So now, anything that does come out is even more sensationalized in the event what comes out isn't significant enough. 

Hope they are not real... shades of DiNeros Homeland Security spot on SNL. ... Sheik Yurboote...

• Sad 1