I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

3 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

Every generation thinks the next isn’t as good as the past but, the current generation, through the past ten years, is forcing the activity to change into something it is not.  DCI was the last bastion of brass and percussion marching tradition whose achievements weren’t limited by its traditional ways.  Today that bastion. Is dying and too many in the activity want to force it to change to a “field theater” activity that has no exclusivity.  

i think whats happening today is better than what I did

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

AsWell, you kinda hit the nail on the head there with what the disagreement is, i.e. if it had remained like it was years ago it would have faded away to nothingness. See, there’s no way to test that hypothesis, and, I tend to think its popularity would have actually increased. But we will never know. So we share contravening opinions. 

Well it may not be a hypothesis but in the early 70’s there were over 140 drum corps in eastern Massachusetts alone. I don’t know how many are left.  Maybe 1. At one time there were 3 national caliber corps within a 15 mile radius of Boston; BAC, 27 & Northstar.  Also in the same competitive ranks were Sancians, Pembroke Imperials & Rockland Defenders. 1 remains.

BAC, 27 and Northstar were all somewhat progressive in their time.  Looking back to those glory years is hypothesis enough for me to know that remaining the same  or being slow to evolve and adapt didn’t keep all the corps around.  I’m not a proponent of including woodwinds into the mix and I’m not a fan of amping brass.  But I like most everything else and I like seeing mm’s do things we couldnt even think of and play better than we ever could.  Maybe one or two corps had players capable of some of it.  But now there are plenty of corps with plenty of players capable of playing their butts off and marching more difficult #%€£ than we could.  There is an old saying that I prescribe to in my every day life and in my work, that I believe brought me some modest amount of personal success:  Adapt or Die.

4 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

Every generation thinks the next isn’t as good as the past but, the current generation, through the past ten years, is forcing the activity to change into something it is not.  DCI was the last bastion of brass and percussion marching tradition whose achievements weren’t limited by its traditional ways.  Today that bastion. Is dying and too many in the activity want to force it to change to a “field theater” activity that has no exclusivity.  

Well, IMO drum corps shows of today in both design and performance are the best they have ever been, and I saw my first show in September 1963 as an almost 10-year old.

People said that Bayonne was not true drum corps with the banana unis in 1976.

People thought that adding a contra turned drum corps into something it was not around 1960.

People thought drum corps died in 1971 with Madison, Cavies, Garfield, St Rita's themed shows.

Just about every new thing caused the prior generations to moan that drum corps was not what it was supposed to be. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I wish this thread would somehow magically disappear. I pray that it vaporizes every day, just because of its title. 

7 hours ago, MikeD said:

Well, IMO drum corps shows of today in both design and performance are the best they have ever been, and I saw my first show in September 1963 as an almost 10-year old.

People thought that adding a contra turned drum corps into something it was not around 1960.

People thought drum corps died in 1971 with Madison, Cavies, Garfield, St Rita's themed shows.

Just about every new thing caused the prior generations to moan that drum corps was not what it was supposed to be. 

Yes, we know.  And as the jet packs, robots, AI and holographics come in, even some of those here who proudly proclaim their love of the current activity will reach a line they are not interested in crossing.  To each their own.

What I find interesting is how much change this activity has endured.  I am having trouble thinking of any other art, sport or what-not that has been changed as frequently and deeply as the drum corps activity.  Examples, anyone?

32 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes, we know.  And as the jet packs, robots, AI and holographics come in, even some of those here who proudly proclaim their love of the current activity will reach a line they are not interested in crossing.  To each their own.

What I find interesting is how much change this activity has endured.  I am having trouble thinking of any other art, sport or what-not that has been changed as frequently and deeply as the drum corps activity.  Examples, anyone?

Well I’ve belonged to an old car club since before I discovered drum cors. Under what not I’d say those vehicles have changed a lot. Part more on topic is I’ve never in almost 50 years heard the bashing and trashing that goes on like when some people talk about different dc eras (and it goes both ways). 

If I don’t find it entertaining I don’t watch or go. Only watch DCI on line for various reasons but lot I like and lot I don’t like. And having walked away for 10 years in the 90s due to real life hitting it ain’t that painful leaving.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Here's an idea. Go volunteer some of your time (a day, a week, whatever) this summer with your favorite corps. You may come to realize that the activity at it's core hasn't changed much since whenever you marched... everyone involved still works their butts off in insane conditions to perfect a show, get everyone fed, travel safely from place to place, etc. 

Also, you won't have to worry about giving DCI any of your money, because you get into the shows for free! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

True but, despite all you mention, they still remained drum & bugle corps.  For the last 10 years, not so much.  Heavy on theatrics, reduced emphasis on the use of drill to visually interpret the music.  Adding electronics is not the same as adding a contra.  If the creative staff(s) think they are attracting a broader appreciation and audience for the organization by using more theatrics and electronics, I think they are wrong.  Who has the highest draw during warm-ups: brass, percussion or guard?