Flo S#cks, For everyone. Period. Unless you are the only person watching.. Ever..

I think the fact that DCI can now ONLY produce a DVD of the top 12 due to the licensing costs lets you know it would be cost prohibitive for Flo as well.
WGI, BOA and most marching band state finals and other circuits have also stopped producing DVDs.  That's a TON of $$$ that is no longer available to the marching arts. 

I'm not trying to be Flo defender here, but just think they deserve to be looked at in the world the way it is.

It's one of the reasons the marching arts are NOT on cable TV as it once was (PBS, ESPN)  Cornhole championships don't come with those costs or potential law suits.

6 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

But I couldn't find any hard numbers anywhere.

Likewise. All the news stories I've come up with say that Flo Sports doesn't give out specific subscriber numbers -- just general numbers like "several hundred thousand." And before anybody freaks out, that's across its entire subscriber base (25 "sports"), not just Flo Marching. I would guess (but have nothing to base this on) that the marching arts subscriber base has one of the smaller percentages compared to the others. But, you never know.

48 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

Yeah, well, the roadblocks are stuff like this:

and this:

Thank you for the posts, I can't help but feel like there is predatory dealings (similar to insurance companies) from Tresona, they say they want to help keep companies from breaking the law but really all they did was exploit loopholes in the rules to maximize their profit. They jumped in scared the crap out of DCI and got DCI to bend to their will. You never hear about copyright stuff from the corps or the artist or DCI.. it is always the lawyers, the media companies or the ones who stand to make money off of the product that doesn't belong to them.

Also it seems like DCI is going through a lot of hassle to get these blurays out. Who the hell even buys blurays or DVD anymore? I would much rather they focus their efforts on getting an on demand service during the year. And streamable shows after the year which flo is already doing, but making them as hard to find as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Thank you for the posts, I can't help but feel like there is predatory dealings (similar to insurance companies) from Tresona, they say they want to help keep companies from breaking the law but really all they did was exploit loopholes in the rules to maximize their profit. They jumped in scared the crap out of DCI and got DCI to bend to their will. You never hear about copyright stuff from the corps or the artist or DCI.. it is always the lawyers, the media companies or the ones who stand to make money off of the product that doesn't belong to them.

Also it seems like DCI is going through a lot of hassle to get these blurays out. Who the hell even buys blurays or DVD anymore? I would much rather they focus their efforts on getting an on demand service during the year. And streamable shows after the year which flo is already doing, but making them as hard to find as possible.

I would imagine DCI has done their market research and gets enough purchases on blu rays every year to justify making them

You'd be surprised how big the market is for hard copies, especially among people who have been collecting physical DCI archives for more than a decade 

• Like 1

....because they have more important things on their plate like sex assault stuff they’re dealing with, IMO. 

Catastrophic liability exposure vs. customer on-demand viewing satisfaction...I’m thinking the first will take precedence.  

7 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

and remember, Flo is getting bigger...they have 2 MLS contracts and could have an even bigger contract soon. This is the best platform we can get for the cost, even with dvr...the pirating would be out of control, and then what? 

i have been brutal to Flo for many things over the years. Coverage has been better, sound issues this year are a lot better ( commercials aren't louder than the corps anymore). They do need to figure out mic placement in this world of amps, and they do need to get more input from corps as the season goes to get better camera work. But they have gotten better, and so far this year, I have had fewer freezes, using the same technology I have since they started carrying it.

Customer service, well......that still needs work

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

They won't do that until sync rights issues and costs can be reduced. For the millionth time on this topic full sync rights, which is what you would need, would be cost prohibitive for what DCI, FLO or ANY VENDOR could afford given the niche market of the activity. In order to be profitable they would need to charge a ton for the service.

ETA: Also realize that many shows contain multiple licensed songs so getting sync rights is even more difficult. Even if all they use is a 10 second quote you pay up.

quick....how many college football games show the bands anymore?

Why? licensing rights

7 hours ago, E3D said:

Eventually someone is going to farm it out to a I.P. that can't be touched or that skips from place to place with bootleg access to the full shows. It will happen and then Flo gets less money. Or what is more likely to happen , people will purchase screen capture capability and record their own shows. Of course still with the crap tastic brodcast from flo but still it becomes pay per view at home then. :spitting::w00t:

it gets bootlegged now. However Flo and DCI are very quick to get it removed when it appears online.

7 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

So everyone is content to throw their hands up and not expect anything better? 

I'm one that likes to question things and ask why they are the way they are, Probably why I'm an atheist.

How much more expensive? Why is it so expensive? What can we do to make it less expensive?

I am not claiming that DCI or FLO need to become unlawful.

Greed is everywhere and Greed has swallowed up the Music business and everyone is looking for theirs, anywhere they can get it, even from Non-profit youth organizations giving Teenagers and outlet to have life changing experiences.

I just want a better product. 

Something that IMO could be done better with a kid holding a $1000 Camera with a boom Mic, a hardwired Internet connection and a twitch account.

A better product costs more money...and who is going to pay for it?

So you ready to pay $75 a month? i'll lay odds you'll complain about that