New Rule for the next conference

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

My position: I'm against this proposal for the sole reason that I've seen so many corps try to do live singing/vocals and it has almost always sounded like trash (crown 2013 and cadets 2014, Bloo 2018 being exceptions to the rule, there may be one or two more I'm forgetting)

Boston 2017 Wicked Games was an amazing vocalist and fantastic ballad. 

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

Spoken word can only be allowed if performed by William Shatner— the man is a visionary:

OHHHH MYYYYY

My position: I'm against this proposal for the sole reason that I've seen so many corps try to do live singing/vocals and it has almost always sounded like trash (crown 2013 and cadets 2014, Bloo 2018 being exceptions to the rule, there may be one or two more I'm forgetting)

If I have to choose between live vocals or precorded, I'll take the pre-recorded because it's way easier on the ears 

That's a good point.

If it's all about entertaining the audience, bad vocals might not fit that bill.  LOL. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

Completely agree. I only wish it made the BluRays.

• Like 1

If I have to choose between live vocals or precorded, I'll take the pre-recorded because it's way easier on the ears 

Same can be said for Horn and Drum lines that sound like trash. Therefore all music should be pre-recorded. That will make it easier on the ears. 

All these so called great ideas but at what point do we just go ahead and take the performance out of it. Just press play. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Unfortunately, Terri is right on this part.  Shotgun mics appear to be here to stay.

Old-timer's moment here... imagine, say, the 1975 Madison Scouts playing into shotgun mics at Finals.

Franklin Field would have crumbled. :tongue: Even more than it already had crumbled. LOL

• Like 1

I think it depends on how much you're going to use.  Bluecoats have the trumpet loop they just played repeated for like four seconds so they can safely dismount a prop, that doesn't bother me.  They've done similar things in the past where it's obviously for an effect purpose and doesn't last very long.  Carolina Crown is doing something cool with an echo in their high brass feature this year that is neat.  

Now if someone had like thirty seconds of something that sounds like brass and is a recording?  Yikes, I wouldn't like that.  But I don't think anyone is diminishing difficulty by throwing in a cool electronic effect here and there for a few seconds.  No one is even remotely approaching what I would think of as unfair/cheating.  

Regarding the singing/narration........I'll side with @Cappybara in that I'd rather have it sound good and well integrated as a sample than be cringe worthy.  That does have boundaries though, which I don't think anyone is crossing.  When shows have relied heavily on those in recent years they have been someone live and done pretty well by the person doing them (like them or not).  I'm thinking about Colts 2014/2015, Cadets 2014, and Bluecoats in 2018 off the top of my head.  Those shows HEAVILY featured those aspects, but had them done by someone live which I really respect and I think was done well for the most part.  I don't disagree that there are moments where something could be being performed live (I'm thinking about the one at the end of Cadets ballad earlier in the season, which they removed), but those are usually pretty minute sections.  I don't disagree, but it wasn't even something I thought about in San Antonio and Mesquite.  

I think another thing is focus.  Bluecoats show last year was built around the singer, the show was what was going on inside her head and the like.  This years is more holistic and a encapsulation of The Beatles and Bluecoats themselves.  I'm not sure having the focus drawn onto a singer for a large portion of the show would have worked in the grand scheme of things.  The samples they use, yeah, sure, they could have gotten a singer.  But I'm not sure that having one for that few of usages would have been worth it.  And they integrate the samples they are using really well, so it doesn't bother me really.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem is enforcing it. The assigned judge to catch it would literally have to stand on top of the synth player to see if keyed in time or just pressing one button and standing back. 

A fair point.  But given that thess shows are judged a couple dozen times over the course of the summer, judges would soon know where and when to look.

29 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

Eh agree to disagree is all I'm gonna say 

21 minutes ago, E3D said:

Same can be said for Horn and Drum lines that sound like trash. Therefore all music should be pre-recorded. That will make it easier on the ears. 

All these so called great ideas but at what point do we just go ahead and take the performance out of it. Just press play. 

I'll let you go ahead and play around with your false equivalences. Enjoy.