Atlanta vs. Allentown - Top 6 Score Comparison

With Crown overtaking SCV in the combined scoring from the two nights at Allentown, I was curious about what happened. So I made a spreadsheet comparing the scores of the Top 6 from Atlanta to Allentown:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14B4u3P-CSETiS7jOEphUm7ePcN2jo0Ud2Qjh3Dr7ms0/edit?usp=sharing

It revealed some interesting things. SCV's score actually dropped in 4/11 sub-captions, including 3/4 GE sub-captions.  Crown and Cavies total scores jumped the most (over 2 points). SCV was the only member of the top 6 to increase their total score by less than one (only a .338 increase).

I know comparing scores from different shows is suspect, but it's interesting nonetheless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

I really enjoy Crown's show, but I dunno if that lead will hold head-to-head.

Agree totally. One other thing-I think if you add up the total of the Top 6 scores Thurs. in Indy it will total more than any other year. And that might just hold for all 3 nights in Indy. JMO.

4 minutes ago, denmum said:

Agree totally. One other thing-I think if you add up the total of the Top 6 scores Thurs. in Indy it will total more than any other year. And that might just hold for all 3 nights in Indy. JMO.

Anybody know what the current high total is for the top 6 at prelims ?

What’s interesting in scoring are the sub captions when you have a full panel. That means you’ve got 2 GE visual and GE music gurus deciphering what they think of what they’re seeing. Look at the subs where 1 judge grades the corps as overachieving the content, whereas the other one scores the SAME corps with room to grow. This only proves that judging is HIGHLY subjective. When you get corps as evenly matched this year as BD, Bloo - and I’ll toss is CC and SCV, and you’ve got a recipe for comedic judgery.

Just enjoy the shows for what they are. To blooey with the scores!

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

What’s interesting in scoring are the sub captions when you have a full panel. That means you’ve got 2 GE visual and GE music gurus deciphering what they think of what they’re seeing. Look at the subs where 1 judge grades the corps as overachieving the content, whereas the other one scores the SAME corps with room to grow. This only proves that judging is HIGHLY subjective. When you get corps as evenly matched this year as BD, Bloo - and I’ll toss is CC and SCV, and you’ve got a recipe for comedic judgery.

Just enjoy the shows for what they are. To blooey with the scores!

And this is why the unique makeup final judging panel will determine who wins the medals. Which is why DCI no longer releases the names of the panelists prior to the night of competition.

13 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Yikes, I did NOT realize how bad SCV got it in Allentown until now...

Which leads me to repeat what I said in the Allentown thread regarding Mandarins: for SCV, the two GE1 judges (who had SCV way down from Atlanta) were both seeing SCV for the very first time all season (for Mandarins, 3 of the 4 GE judges were first viewings). I think it’s shocking (and inequitable) to have several first-reads this late in the season when judging critiques ended the week leading up to Atlanta, but it’s a natural consequence of having so few early season west coast shows (only two weekends) where they use the same panel all weekend each time. 

• Like 1

I think momentum may have played a role. SCV put on a great show, but there was no one nipping at their heels, and there was little chance of catching BD or Bloo. BAC was pretty close to Crown in Lawrence. Cavies are hungry, BAC would have loved to win with so many from Boston in the crowd. Crown had to give it everything. Crown could catch SCV, though I’m not sure it will happen though I wouldn’t be shocked if it did.

• Like 1

Interesting. Thanks for taking the time. While judging is subjective, there could be some data here worth interpreting in various ways.

Judging is hard. Most I know that judge at the highest levels of DCI, BOA, WGI take it very seriously and do a fair amount of self analysis over their ranking rating and spreads. They all want to get it "right". By that I mean right according to the sheets, the philosophy of DCI, their training, the performance that evening and that evening only, and their gut. Many of them talk about their gut being important and that if they have ever second guessed themselves- looking back, their gut was always right. So yeah- subjective, but with a lot of specific training and guidance and a motivation to be as fair as possible.