COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

46 minutes ago, garfield said:

I wish that were long term consolation, but that financial liability, if he prevails, doesn't go away except in bankruptcy (and specifically not retirement funds which are protected in Banko).

If you believe in the Signs of life ($10 to M. Night Shyamalan for an excellent movie), Covid-19 is all of a sudden providing YEA! (the liability is not the new Cadets' liability) with a perfectly valid reason to declare banko, thumb their noses at him, and let crumble into nothing so he doesn't get paid.

Cadets survive, but as part of what is still dramatically uncertain.

That could be the entire plan of the YEA organization & I'm sure they've run every scenario.  They have probably been anticipating these events from the beginning, thus executing their plan to restructure "The Cadets" as a separate entity & then following with the plan to dissolve the YEA organization.  This solution solves several issues including Hopkins' claim.     

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

1 hour ago, garfield said:

($10 to M. Night Shyamalan for an excellent movie)

461b652ddbb48d3cc68b37250ef27bed.jpg

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

That could be the entire plan of the YEA organization & I'm sure they've run every scenario.  They have probably been anticipating these events from the beginning, thus executing their plan to restructure "The Cadets" as a separate entity & then following with the plan to dissolve the YEA organization.  This solution solves several issues including Hopkins' claim.     

A new organization for New Jersey marching bands was created this past year and was supposed to launch this fall. I think a lot of people may have already seen the writing on the wall for YEA and took the initiative to start fresh.  Most of the bands participating in US Bands already have other circuits they can call home: NYSFBC, NESBA, TOB, Cavalcade, VMBC, and now the new New Jersey circuit.  The one state I can think of that will have to make more of an effort to find a home will be Connecticut.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

the problem is if YEA folds, what of USBands? no one was buying it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Another perspective from The Morning Call.  I guess YEA would hope for the felony conviction or if found 'not guilty', prove "willful or severe misconduct".

From the 4th paragraph:

"In a similar lawsuit filed in federal court, YEA contended that no severance is owed to Hopkins because he was fired for cause. Hopkins, in the Lehigh County lawsuit, says he left the organization through a “mutually agreeable cessation of employment.”

Under Hopkins’ contract, which is attached to the lawsuit as an exhibit, “willful or severe misconduct” or conviction of a felony are cause for dismissal.

Last paragraph:

In May, the Allentown Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps separated from YEA and became the nonprofit Cadets Arts and Entertainment Inc., stating they lost $1.5 million in sponsorships, donations and ticket sales after the allegations against Hopkins were made public.

https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-george-hopkins-yea-severance-lawsuit-20200721-uralghcmmbftpkrp4434oz2mbm-story.html

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

A new organization for New Jersey marching bands was created this past year and was supposed to launch this fall. I think a lot of people may have already seen the writing on the wall for YEA and took the initiative to start fresh.  Most of the bands participating in US Bands already have other circuits they can call home: NYSFBC, NESBA, TOB, Cavalcade, VMBC, and now the new New Jersey circuit.  The one state I can think of that will have to make more of an effort to find a home will be Connecticut.

CT does have the Musical Arts Conference. They had winter shows into early March when things shut down.

On 7/23/2020 at 12:49 PM, MikeD said:

CT does have the Musical Arts Conference. They had winter shows into early March when things shut down.

Yep, they're still around but believe they moved to only winter programs at this point. I don't think they had a 2019 fall season, which is why bands like Trumbull and Norwalk participated more heavily in US Bands. I wonder if this may be a catalyst to get things going again in the fall, though.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:51 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

461b652ddbb48d3cc68b37250ef27bed.jpg

So which corps was going to use this as a uni in 2020..... 😈

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So which corps was going to use this as a uni in 2020..... 😈

Blue Knights, of course

• Haha 3