Disturbing DCI rumors

Just now, Fran Haring said:

Lifelong Jets fan here. I respectfully disagree. :tongue:

We are in the same division, Dolphins fan here. You've inherited Adam Gase. God Bless you.

Red Zone Channel has been my savior. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

I learn this past summer that most corps don't do a full Run through of the show anymore on Show days... They chunk through the show and at the end just call it a day, to save the members energy for the Show Run through.

That's a new one to me.  😲

Mike

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MikeN said:

That's a new one to me.  😲

Mike

Yeah went to Boston's Ensemble rehearsal this past summer before the Buffalo show and I was eagerly waiting for the corps to do a Full run as I used too and they got to the end of the closer in their chunks and said "Ok butts in seats by 4:15 Thank you" 

I was like 😯

And my wife who'd been on staff of more recent Cadet Corps in the early '10's said yeah nobody does Run through anymore on show days.

Edited by Glenn426

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Do not ask me.  You are the one claiming school sales figures somehow illustrate the relative popularity of things.

Its a fact that there are more WW players than Brass players in most if not all Scholastic Band programs across the country.

DCI's potential Membership base could be increased by that many members with the reversal of one simple rule. I'd say it provides facts that highlight the need, want, and argument that DCI has to allow the potential of membership to be opened to these new individuals, without the hurdles and logistical nightmares that would normally encounter a WoodWind player learning a second instrument.

14 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

All the cost you mentioned are precisely the barriers to making a profit. What I have in mind is not exactly drum corps as it currently stands. It's my idea of what this art form might eventually turn into. Perhaps it's DCI or perhaps it's where the designers who want more eventually turn to and create their own organization.

Oh, like SoundSport.  You know, they allow woodwinds in SoundSport already.  This is the answer to all your dreams!

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Then you should take another look at the posts here, or on DCI Facebook... or better yet, the DCI group on reddit... and see the reason for all this.  

People like drum corps because of the unique brass/percussion sound.  Not just olde phartes, but current MMs and their peer group.  Marching band kids - not just the brass players and drummers, but woodwind musicians too - tell us in so many words that the unique brass/percussion-centric sound matters to them.  

Who knew?

A lot of people do like drum corps for that reason -- although I don't think we know what percentage of the audience that is, nor how many would walk away if drum corps adds woodwinds. I don't think DCI knows that either, and that would be my message to the corps directors in any email: "Do you trust your market research enough to make this leap?"

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Its a fact that there are more WW players than Brass players in most if not all Scholastic Band programs across the country.

DCI's potential Membership base could be increased by that many members with the reversal of one simple rule. I'd say it provides facts that highlight the need, want, and argument that DCI has to allow the potential of membership to be opened to these new individuals, without the hurdles and logistical nightmares that would normally encounter a WoodWind player learning a second instrument.

In the spirit of miles davis.." So What"

16 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I don't think anybody gets rich working in drum corps.

To the degree that decisions are made by personal money interests, it's small change, and the same kind of decisions that everyone in every career makes.

Well, someone who used to be w/ Cadets had a 6-figure salary. 

There are a few individuals, probably less than 10, who do make what many would call a large amount of money.  Are they rich?  Depends on definition of rich.   

50 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

We are in the same division, Dolphins fan here. You've inherited Adam Gase. God Bless you.

Red Zone Channel has been my savior. 

Bills fan here so thanks for the division wins guys.... wouldn’t have made the one and done in the playoffs without it 😫

Edited by JimF-LowBari