Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, MikeD said:

It goes to highlight the confusion when the same requirement exists in multiple places and they want to make changes. In this case they have the Open class size in 3 places apparently.

This applies to any requirement in any organization. It has just reared its head here due to the topic.

 

Wonder if any other conflicting rules/policies in the DCI paperwork. And if there is any that could affect non-profit status as everything better be nice and clean there. In a group that lost no -profit for a while and they did a clean up of policy as a CYA before re-applying. Well actually vague  wording of what the group did was part of the non-profit drop

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Do you really think if Boston had folded in 1983 du to lack of sufficient numbers they would still be around today?

Sometimes, particularly in niche activities, so much time is spent staring at one's navel that it hurts to raise one's head and see reality for what it is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Sometimes, particularly in niche activities, so much time is spent staring at one's navel that it hurts to raise one's head and see reality for what it is.

Is it worth the pain if your navel is terribly fascinating? 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

Is it worth the pain if your navel is terribly fascinating? 🙂

 

I guess it depends on the navel manuvers, ha, ha.

But that's not the exposure the OP is concerned about DCI.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I think you are still missing my point.  Let me put this in terms you can relate to ($$$).

Say you had a 401k retirement savings account you accumulated while with a previous employer.  Say you decided last week to close that account, and roll it over into an IRA so as not to incur any taxes at this time.  You know this is legal because the law is in writing; it is not changing any time soon because laws require majorities of both houses of Congress and a presidential signoff to change; and it is typical in a relatively free/fair nation to provide fair warning time between ratification and when the new law takes effect.  But today, some government website changes a document to say that rollovers are now illegal, and anyone currently attempting a rollover will have all their funds seized by the government.  They take all your money.  Any complaints?

So to answer your question - no, I would not be "satisfied".  DCI changed a policy document in conflict with their own rules manual, and in ignorance of their own rule change process.  I would already be dissatisfied if the minimum size rule changes ratified in January 2020 were not deferred until the 2021 season... but if some unauthorized subset of DCI can make up the rules whenever they want, I would have no choice but to recommend that anyone with fiduciary responsibilities at a non-member corps cut their losses and get out while they still can.

You also asked about changing the outcome for Encorps.  If DCI went ahead with this change, but for 2021 implementation, Encorps could still have proceeded with the 2020 season without the 55-member angst.  It would, of course, still be up to them to take that opportunity and make it a success.

i do agree October is a short notice period

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Do you really think if Boston had folded in 1983 du to lack of sufficient numbers they would still be around today?

In 1983, if you lived in Massachusetts and were a drum corps fan, you probably would not have believed that 10th place for 27th Lancers would be followed by an 11th place the following year and a fall from finals in 1985 and at the end of 1986 they would be a memory.  I know I would not have believed it.

If you had told me in 1983 that Boston Crusaders would not only survive but would become a perennial finalist, if you were a Boston Crusader I would have smiled and said “of course you will” because I never want to pour water on a flame, and I would have admired your optimism, but I would not have believed it. Few did. Everyone admired Boston Crusaders pluck, but many thought the writing was on the wall.

However, Boston Crusaders in 1983 and the following years did have some favorable conditions that Encorps did not have. One is a long history. They also became the only game in town after 27th, North Star, Defenders, and Spectra disbanded at a time when the CYO and Eastern MA circuits still had shows and smaller units which directly or indirectly helped with recruitment. By about 1988 you began to see steady progress and improvement on the field and better direction off field. There were still uphill battles for BAC, but Encorps as a new start up at a very different time did face enormous challenges.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i do agree October is a short notice period

There you have it.  It's now official.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The current DCI board has become the "Mafia" of drum corps.  What they say goes or else.!!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tim K said:

In 1983, if you lived in Massachusetts and were a drum corps fan, you probably would not have believed that 10th place for 27th Lancers would be followed by an 11th place the following year and a fall from finals in 1985 and at the end of 1986 they would be a memory.  I know I would not have believed it.

If you had told me in 1983 that Boston Crusaders would not only survive but would become a perennial finalist, if you were a Boston Crusader I would have smiled and said “of course you will” because I never want to pour water on a flame, and I would have admired your optimism, but I would not have believed it. Few did. Everyone admired Boston Crusaders pluck, but many thought the writing was on the wall.

However, Boston Crusaders in 1983 and the following years did have some favorable conditions that Encorps did not have. One is a long history. They also became the only game in town after 27th, North Star, Defenders, and Spectra disbanded at a time when the CYO and Eastern MA circuits still had shows and smaller units which directly or indirectly helped with recruitment. By about 1988 you began to see steady progress and improvement on the field and better direction off field. There were still uphill battles for BAC, but Encorps as a new start up at a very different time did face enormous challenges.

one of the other changes to note is location.

In 1983, a year the Cadets benefitted from an infusion of talent from those smaller Boston CYO and EMass corps shutting down, most Jersey drum corps was urban centered with the population of Bergen and Passaic Counties being greater than some cities elsewhere in the nation. Only then (after the Great Mississippi infusion a few seasons previously) did Jersey drum corps shift from local recruitment models to national/international membership. With success comes wider recruitment interest.

Encorps, still in 2019 using a local model, does benefit from the Jersey shift for better marching activity interests from urban parishes and posts to suburban school districts (Greater Princeton and New Brunswick) rather than Paterson, Passaic and Newark. Perhaps a local model may still subsist some California smaller corps, but not many in DCI at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gregory11 said:

 The current DCI board has become the "Mafia" of drum corps.  What they say goes or else.!!!  

Watch your back. I got threatened by a Ohio accountant for using that term, even though you are probably correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.