Time for DCI to cancel season?

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Every word devoted to politics and blame is a squandered resource that might have saved a life or at least made for a better one.

"Please! Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Also in 1918-19, Spain complained about everyone calling it the Spanish Flu.

Well, they did have a point. Kansas isn’t Spain. 

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Some problems just can't be solved on an individual basis.

This is probably one of them.

If you build up a big stockpile of personal protective equipment and I don't, and particularly if a lot of people act like me and don't to this, and a pandemic hits, then there's still a decent chance that a large percentage of the population gets sick, and the government has to shut down schools and lots of businesses, and the stock market tanks, and unemployment skyrockets, and even though you've got a mask and you're pretty careful about hygiene, so many other people around you are sick that you get it too. You slip up just once and forget and touch your face after touching a door handle.

“I don’t have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you.”

Just now, garfield said:

“I don’t have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you.”

Yes, being chased by a bear (a situation I've actually been in) is perhaps better handled on an individual basis.

26 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Some problems just can't be solved on an individual basis.

This is probably one of them.

If you build up a big stockpile of personal protective equipment and I don't, and particularly if a lot of people act like me and don't to this, and a pandemic hits, then there's still a decent chance that a large percentage of the population gets sick, and the government has to shut down schools and lots of businesses, and the stock market tanks, and unemployment skyrockets, and even though you've got a mask and you're pretty careful about hygiene, so many other people around you are sick that you get it too. You slip up just once and forget and touch your face after touching a door handle.

In other words, Edgar Poe knew what he was talking about.

"And now was acknowledged the presence of the Red Death. He had come like a thief in the night. And one by one dropped the revellers in the blood-bedewed halls of their revel, and died each in the despairing posture of his fall. And the life of the ebony clock went out with that of the last of the gay. And the flames of the tripods expired. And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all."

29 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If the famous actor's comments were relevant to a discussion here, sure.

But we can make this less hypothetical:

Just two days ago, a reasonably famous actor (or so I'm told; I'd heard her name before but couldn't tell you what she's done) (flamebait snipped). Then yesterday, a member of Congress said pretty much the same thing. His comment got less attention, although I saw a few people comparing the two remarks.

If in the course of this discussion here on whether DCI will be shut down due to coronavirus, Jeff pointed to the actor's comment as an example of how, in his opinion, some people have their heads in the sand on this issue, you'd say: not political.

But if Jeff instead pointed to the very similar politician's comment to make the same point, you'd say: political! verboten!

For the sake of comity, I get why DCP would find it necessary to make the distinction.

It's still silly.

Those are the guidelines.  How is that silly?

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, being chased by a bear (a situation I've actually been in) is perhaps better handled on an individual basis.

Bear or virus.  Same answer.  The answer to me surviving is not to give you my mask.  It’s to teach you how to participate and save to get your own. Then, the choice is yours.  I’ll know who to avoid without my mask when the crisis hits.

Drum corps, and free citizens more broadly, can teach kids how to deal with life’s uncertainties, but we can’t mandate away stupid. If the bear, or virus, catches you and not me and the only difference is that I took responsibility to put down the Twinky and get in shape (or stock up on face masks), well, good luck then outrunning the bear.

(Only using “you” because I trust you know I do so euphemistically.)

41 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Also in 1918-19, Spain complained about everyone calling it the Spanish Flu.

I believe the reason it was called the Spanish flu was because the king of Spain was a famous person who caught it. That may be totally bogus but I’m feeling too lazy to look it up. 🤗