Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

..... I think there needs to be less amp and at least 30 contras. Lol!!!

Back when I marched we would have considered it an insult to suggest that we needed a synth/amp  to back us up.   

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Frankly, pit writing today IMHO is just too much and adds too little.  Seriously you don't need 10 marimbas when you are amplified.  The whole saying less is more should be taken to heart.  Silence in music adds to it not lessons it.  I know I sound like an old fart but having 32nd note runs for absolutely no musical reason other than filler is beyond lameness anymore.  Ya, old school drum corps sounded louder because they had something called dynamic contrast.   Not constantly dialed up to 8+ the entire show with rimshots ever other measure like it's a competition to see who can do more.  Off soapbox.

Phantom 2010 would not have the same effect if it wasn't for that pit.  Beautiful writing, integrated so well into the production. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Shocker.

 

Yep, a shocker that a guy who actually plays marimba, composes original music, and pores over modern percussion literature has a better idea of musicality in modern pits than you do :thumbup: 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 11:41 AM, greg_orangecounty said:

"Cut their size down to 6 or less, or move them all to the back sideline so we can’t hear them"

It bears repeating. 

Does it "bare" repeating as well? You can spew neanderthal nonsense all you want, it has no relevance to today's members or their families -  the ticket buyers. And even LESS relevance to tomorrow's. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, predictably, this "discussion" has devolved into the argumentative pit.

Name calling is immature, absurd and grounds for closure of this thread.

I will continue to hope that somehow, someday, somewhere there will be grown-up dialog on DCP.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Well, predictably, this "discussion" has devolved into the argumentative pit.

Name calling is immature, absurd and grounds for closure of this thread.

I will continue to hope that somehow, someday, somewhere there will be grown-up dialog on DCP.

So True, unfortunately we see alot of that over the past few years in general. The new world we live in lately. It fuel's and encourages to the lowest part of human nature, and when it becomes the norm from those who are supposed to set examples it erodes who we are ,  PERIOD!

Unfortunately the green light on such behavior has become the norm. Many of my friends in the education field have had to deal with some young people  ( very young )who see alot of this childish behavior  and think if it's ok for them to also act the same. Sad

Edited by GUARDLING

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🍻 Here's to all the MMs in the pit who put everything they have into their performances. Your contributions and dedication are much appreciated by many, and drum corps just wouldn't be the same without you. Your efforts are too often overlooked and under-appreciated, and the existence of this thread is proof of that. Keep being amazing and adding to the wonderful productions that you help enrich. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Why do the call it the pit when it’s right out in front of the field?

It's a lowered area ("pit") between the audience and stage where an orchestral ensemble provides musical accompaniment.  Think Broadway play, or Academy Awards.  

They're supposed to enhance the show, not BE the show.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Why do the call it the pit when it’s right out in front of the field?

 

21 hours ago, Ghost said:

Maybe it comes from stage shows where the musicians are normally down in front of the stage.

 

15 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It's a lowered area ("pit") between the audience and stage where an orchestral ensemble provides musical accompaniment.  Think Broadway play, or Academy Awards.  

They're supposed to enhance the show, not BE the show.

Very Good Emoji Clipart - Full Size Clipart (#1070340) - PinClipart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, furious-winter said:

🍻 Here's to all the MMs in the pit who put everything they have into their performances. Your contributions and dedication are much appreciated by many, and drum corps just wouldn't be the same without you. Your efforts are too often overlooked and under-appreciated, and the existence of this thread is proof of that. Keep being amazing and adding to the wonderful productions that you help enrich. 

100% with you.

The people who say the front ensemble is supposed to be the accompaniment are honestly funny to me. It's like insulting but also just hilariously ignorant. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.