Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

29 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Definition of Pageantry Leeches: Has affiliation with one or more verticals within the marching performing arts activity.

As someone who aspires to be as horizontal as possible since retiring, can you tell me what a vertical is? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

As someone who aspires to be as horizontal as possible since retiring, can you tell me what a vertical is? 

You bet I will Lancer! A vertical market is a market encompassing a group of companies (i.e. WGI, DCI, HS Marching Bands, College or University Marching Bands) and customers (i.e. fans and/or members) that are all interconnected around a specific niche. Companies in a vertical market are attuned to that market's specialized needs and generally do not serve a broader market. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I also said multiple times I refuse to eat there because of the owners anti-gay views. Reason being I have gay friends and I stick up for my friends.

What else needs to be said?

Nothing else needs to be said.

Optionally, though, you could clear something up for me.  It sounded like you are saying that what you are doing is not a boycott.  Did I get that backwards?  (Would not be the first time... )

15 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Nothing else needs to be said.

Optionally, though, you could clear something up for me.  It sounded like you are saying that what you are doing is not a boycott.  Did I get that backwards?  (Would not be the first time... )

I don’t go to CFA but I don’t try to convince others to do the same. So is this the definition of boycott or just making a personal decision not to go there? I don’t call it a boycott as i think of a boycott as a group effort. So I’m probably misusing the definition. I don’t go to local Taco Bell anymore as the food went to crap. So boycott or not wanting to be up with gas half the night?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, skevinp said:

You know a statement has broad appeal when it gets likes from both me and Cappybara.

Several organizations did attempt to placate BLM. Haven’t seen any plan for more inclusion of minorities due to Social stratification. Very disingenuous considering that the corner stone of drum corps was inclusive of membership within the community regardless of race. Smells of virtue signaling. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Several organizations did attempt to placate BLM. Haven’t seen any plan for more inclusion of minorities due to Social stratification. Very disingenuous considering that the corner stone of drum corps was inclusive of membership within the community regardless of race. Smells of virtue signaling. 

Now, yes, always or corner stone? Maybe within the activity BUT within the same corps ? No not all. Now for sure though, thankfully, Same with being gay or even gay relationships in corps widely accepted👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Now, yes, always or corner stone? Maybe within the activity BUT within the same corps ? No not all. Now for sure though, thankfully, Same with being gay or even gay relationships in corps widely accepted👍

Without gay participation ranks would be thin. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I did not see anyone calling you a big boycott fan, or anything of the sort.  And it would be incorrect to do so.  A big boycott fan would be someone who does try to involve family/friends in the boycott, promotes specific boycotts, and/or promotes the general concept of boycotting as "free market".

Never really heard of the term “big boycott fan” but if that’s what that is, I proudly am one 

And yes, boycotting is a part of the free market. I have yet to get a response from anyone with actual points as to why it violates the concept of a free market. Boycotting is simply another form of peaceful protest

edit: also are the semantics of what constitutes a boycott really important? People are acting like it’s some dirty word to be associated with

Edited by Cappybara

29 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Without gay participation ranks would be thin. 

Slightly off topic but what an absolute gift the Supreme Court gave to us the other day! I hope LBGTQ participation continues at a high level in drum corps 

• Like 3