Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Here's a Salt Lake City Tribune article about parents who not only want the schools to open, they don't want kids to be required to wear masks. For example:

"A dad who spoke after her said he, too, doesn’t think the masks are effective, and said he’s pulling his kids out of school this fall if the state doesn't lift its mandate requiring all K-12 students to wear a face covering."

Someone should have stopped these parents for demonstrating their 1st amendment rights! Also who allowed them to read and make up their own minds about anything? It's like somehow the parents all got together and started reading propaganda like this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971/

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

My understanding of it (I come from an eastern background) is that people wear masks in Asia as a sign of respect for those around them. The health and well-being of the collective is emphasized over the individual in eastern culture, and so there is a subtle societal obligation to do things such as wear a mask in crowded areas in order to prevent infecting their fellow countrymen. 

Thank You..something we clearly lack 

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Guitar1974 said:

Yes, good points indeed.  The Kawasaki syndrome is very debateable at this point, but kids bringing the virus home is a valid concern for sure.  Such a tough situation.

Very debatable indeed. This new article may interest you:

Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children related to Covid-19 isn't the mystery it's made out to be.

Basically the article says that the small number of kids who get much sicker than the rest don't have a mysterious syndrome: they have a bad case of Covid-19 like adults get.

2 minutes ago, E3D said:

Someone should have stopped these parents for demonstrating their 1st amendment rights! Also who allowed them to read and make up their own minds about anything? It's like somehow the parents all got together and started reading propaganda like this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971/

And the purpose for this post is?

Just now, E3D said:

I don't think anyone wants these parents not to speak their minds. It's good to know which of your neighbors aren't well.

Your article concerns the wearing of cloth masks by hospital workers "in high risk wards."

Sure, that totally applies to kids in schools.

Just now, GUARDLING said:

Thank You..something we clearly lack in this country 

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to almost any cultural norm. This one just happens to work in favor of east Asian countries in this particular situation.

• Like 1

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

I don't think anyone wants these parents not to speak their minds. It's good to know which of your neighbors aren't well.

Your article concerns the wearing of cloth masks by hospital workers "in high risk wards."

Sure, that totally applies to kids in schools.

Yup. I’ve seen this article posted by people online numerous times and it’s always the same type of people who don’t actually read the study and just jump straight to the results section. The methodology of clinical trials matter, people. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

My understanding of it (I come from an eastern background) is that people wear masks in Asia as a sign of respect for those around them. The health and well-being of the collective is emphasized over the individual in eastern culture, and so there is a subtle societal obligation to do things such as wear a mask in crowded areas in order to prevent infecting their fellow countrymen. 

Emphasis on individual vs the collective (IOW rest of society).... BINGO! 

Started to think of the depression and WWII stories my mom would tell when we were young and “just had” to have something. Lot of sacrifices to keep the family of 7 going and no griping allowed. If something hit everyone went without something. Don’t think lot of people could do it today. (Could have done without finding the “playhouse” out back with a dirt floor was originally the chicken coop for Sunday dinner... well dirt and chicken #### floor 😥)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to almost any cultural norm. This one just happens to work in favor of east Asian countries in this particular situation.

IMO it's going to become the norm here from now on - even with a vaccine, when people are sick with the flu they will be more prone to wearing masks. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, E3D said:

Japan. I was a little reluctant to give out personal info. 

The infection numbers are on the rise again after the peak in April. But they really only gave a small break and then made moves to reopen in May for most places. When school is open that pretty much means all of their activities, track , swimming , band, strings etc. 

And Japan has had a very low infection rate—22,000 cases total since the beginning, and they had a head start on us. Florida reports 22,000 in a day and a half!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2