BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

On 7/6/2022 at 4:36 PM, NakedEye said:

Since I couldn't stay up half the night to see the Fresno show, I attempted to watch the replay today. They showed the entire contest, up until BD was taking the field. Then it switched to the "this event has concluded" screen, alternating with an ad for "Adam & Eve Adult Products." (50% off!) WHAT??!!! :spitting:

Don't tell me this is a new offering from System Blue...😂😂😂

Annoying because I had this on in the background all afternoon to see BD and all I got was an opportunity for discount cheap thrills. 😂

I feel your pain over the re-broadcast not showing Blue Devils. I think a lot of people were upset about that. I had been hearing that the re-broadcasts were problematic, despite the live casts being quite good in most cases, so I just decided I was going to stay up late to see BD (NE Ohio) and I was glad I did. They put on a SHOW! They have so much room for growth and yet the show is already such a joy to watch. They perform at such an extraordinary level. 

Plenty of competition out there and I know Crown, Bloo, SCV and Boston will be heard from, but as of now I have a difficult time seeing BD lose a show. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Rylan said:

They just debuted their jackets today at Family Day! They wore them for a total of 15 seconds but I figure that’s just a temporary thing until they figure out another way to take them off. Maybe? 

No shakos and plumes yet. 

As for the show, more changes! And definitely even better in person! 

There may or may not be a recent video of it online somewhere. 😉

In the latest video, which may or may not exist, you can clearly see, if you can see something that's not actually there, that the level of body work in the hornline is staggering. Major leap up in complexity and difficulty from 2019, which itself was at a new level. 

Much of it has crossed over into modern dance, and they are performing it with such energy. If there is any one thing that gives them the edge over the competition, I feel like this is it. Nobody moves like BD. Nobody.

In watching some of the other very hyped shows, which have definite strengths, any time those members would jazz run or tackle some more complex choreography, my reaction has been, "ohhhhh...." Just not in the same league.

How it all ends up is anyone's guess, but the movement is a pretty unique and impressive skill they've made part of their trademark. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jaylogan said:

The way they take off the uniforms is too effective not to be temporary, in my thinking. Very nice performance!

Yeah I agree. Just trying to figure out how the shakos and plumes would fit in especially with that opening body movement/dance. I’m thinking maybe they never actually perform with their shakos and only use them for awards ceremonies? 

9 hours ago, Rylan said:

They just debuted their jackets today at Family Day! They wore them for a total of 15 seconds but I figure that’s just a temporary thing until they figure out another way to take them off. Maybe? 

No shakos and plumes yet. 

As for the show, more changes! And definitely even better in person! 

There may or may not be a recent video of it online somewhere. 😉

I just got the recipe!  Holy Fk! If anyone thinks this show couldn't get any better, they are going to choke on those words.. this is just the first week of July ending, what the hell this show going to be!??? Such a monster.

• Like 4

They posted a new video with Scott explaining his ideas for the show on YT. It’s fun. Especially liked the part where he’s talking about the Picasso ‘blue period’ section (after the ballad) and he reminds us that Picasso really leaned on his Spanish influences — so if you caught the “My Spanish Heart”/BD1994 reference at this point in the show, there’s your reason! 

I only wish they’d explicitly say that you don’t HAVE to know any of this to enjoy or ‘get’ the show. I think many people approach BD with a need for things to make literal sense or tell an explicit story, and I get that, but I think the shows are fun on their own. The rest just helps you appreciate how much thought they put into it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Had the pleasure to see the Blue Devils live this year, and it was like an out-of-body experience. I disagree with a majority of people in that I had no clue what the show was about at first, but I loved it to pieces. I thought it had a more upbeat and dance-y vibe than BD's previous shows, and I enjoyed it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lyndakay27 said:

Closed rehearsal tonight. Wonder what will be new!

me too! also excited for the streak of rehearsal days in the lead-up to Ogden and Drums Along the Rockies … Every time I see this show, it’s got upgrades, so sustained rehearsal time bodes very well…

• Like 2