19 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

I spy a Crown set on Crown's Instagram 👀

Same! 🤗

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

I spy a Crown set on Crown's Instagram 👀

I just came on here to say the same thing. Traditional crown set too ❤️

• Like 5

Thoughts after watching that video a couple times....

Show Design/Concept: Somewhat perplexed with the original online announcement, but found it translated to the field well. The voiceovers set things up nicely and weren't overbearing, nice touch with the accent. Crown stepped out of the comfort zone and really went for it, I think it will pay off nicely come August. Great music selections and the drill has some meat to it, mmmmm tasty. 

App: Most innovative use of visual electronics/technology I've seen on a football field. Much preferred over the various iterations of screens used in DCI and BOA over the past few years. The prompted crowd engagement will grab them some extra points in GE come Indy as well. 

Uniforms: Both the corps proper and guard uniforms are my biggest gripe. Similar to 2019, the guard's uniform causes them to be lost in the color of the field at times. I'm assuming it will pop a little more against the turf at Lucas Oil. Kinda wish they went for a neon pink or purple guard uniform. Corps proper is fine, not the best and not the worst. Missing the unique Crown Shako this year! Orange sash in the ballad is a nice touch. However, I feel like the plain white top with black pants is a visual missed opportunity when compared to the excitement of music in the back half of the show. Watched their video describing the uni design and they mentioned the white several times- so not really expecting them to add anything?

Guard: They are COOKIN for June! They were my biggest question coming into the 2022 season and what I've seen has squashed any qualms I held. Guard book has the content to have them competing for the caption title. I was skeptical when I heard the 50 number, but it really adds to the show concept and draws the crowd into the performance. Cool use of the colorful fabrics between the guard and corps. The skinny flags and ribbons on the sabres bring an extra element beyond the standard equipment too. 

Brass/Music Book: Brass isn't cutting any corners in this book and has a few more notes than in the last couple of years. Potential for another Ott trophy to go to the cream team this year. Has some memorable tunes that will polish up nicely. Anyone else get a little chuckle out of the vibraphone jazz elevator music in the closer? Percussion isn't my forte so I can't say much other than the diddles sounded good to me. 

Visual: Couldn't say much on the drill without a hi camera angle, although they do appear to be booking it at times. Guard is integrated into the forms and drill fairly well. Abstract center prop wasn't that attention grabbing or distracting from the video's POV. 

Overall: Super pumped about 2022's production and found it pretty refreshing- can't wait to see the layers added throughout the season to make it something really special. Predicting Crown will finish with the gold or silver in August.  

Edited by palmettomello
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, palmettomello said:

Thoughts after watching that video a couple times....

Show Design/Concept: Somewhat perplexed with the original online announcement, but found it translated to the field well. The voiceovers set things up nicely and weren't overbearing, nice touch with the accent. Crown stepped out of the comfort zone and really went for it, I think it will pay off nicely come August. Great music selections and the drill has some meat to it, mmmmm tasty. 

App: Most innovative use of visual electronics/technology I've seen on a football field. Much preferred over the various iterations of screens used in DCI and BOA over the past few years. The prompted crowd engagement will grab them some extra points in GE come Indy as well. 

Uniforms: Both the corps proper and guard uniforms are my biggest gripe. Similar to 2019, the guard's uniform causes them to be lost in the color of the field at times. I'm assuming it will pop a little more against the turf at Lucas Oil. Kinda wish they went for a neon pink or purple guard uniform. Corps proper is fine, not the best and not the worst. Missing the unique Crown Shako this year! Orange sash in the ballad is a nice touch. However, I feel like the plain white top with black pants is a visual missed opportunity when compared to the excitement of music in the back half of the show. Watched their video describing the uni design and they mentioned the white several times- so not really expecting them to add anything?

Guard: They are COOKIN for June! They were my biggest question coming into the 2022 season and what I've seen has squashed any qualms I held. Guard book has the content to have them competing for the caption title. I was skeptical when I heard the 50 number, but it really adds to the show concept and draws the crowd into the performance. Cool use of the colorful fabrics between the guard and corps. The skinny flags and ribbons on the sabres bring an extra element beyond the standard equipment too. 

Brass/Music Book: Brass isn't cutting any corners in this book and has a few more notes than in the last couple of years. Potential for another Ott trophy to go to the cream team this year. Has some memorable tunes that will polish up nicely. Anyone else get a little chuckle out of the vibraphone jazz elevator music in the closer? Percussion isn't my forte so I can't say much other than the diddles sounded good to me. 

Visual: Couldn't say much on the drill without a hi camera angle, although they do appear to be booking it at times. Guard is integrated into the forms and drill fairly well. Abstract center prop wasn't that attention grabbing or distracting from the video's POV. 

Overall: Super pumped about 2022's production and found it pretty refreshing- can't wait to see the layers added throughout the season to make it something really special. Predicting Crown will finish with the gold or silver in August.  

I think they would have blended into the corps if the guard was in purple! I like the guard against the corps but I can see what you mean against that turf. 

I would say Pink & Orange would have been better than purple & pink! 

• Like 2

I flew to Instagram after seeing the posts...and I got chills once I made it to the Crown set!!! My biggest gripe since 2017 was that I missed the traditional Crown set, and now it's back!!! 😍😍😍

• Like 1

This years show for some reason has me getting emotional already. I cannot wait to see this live I will likely be bawling my eyes out and throwing babies by the end I'm sure of it.

• Like 2

I'm so excited to see this program by Crown 2022. What I've seen so far has put a huge smile on my face. I can't believe that they are going to be in Atlanta 3 times during their tour. I also had no clue that they'd be performing literally in the heart of Atlanta at Midtown( Grady) High School stadium next to the beautiful Piedmont Park.  I always envisioned a Drum Corps Show there bc the stadium is a nice size. I don't think to many people in Atlanta City Limits are aware of DCI, so this is going to be great. I also noticed that there aren't many tickets sold for that show, which is possibly because most are going to the Southeastern Championships at GA State University Stadium (1996 Olympic Stadium).  Anyway Good Luck Crown, I have good feeling about this show. I just know it's going to get better as the season goes. 

• Like 1

Watched Crown's ensemble rehearsal last night and the run of the show.
They are very good 🙂  but you all know that.

I like the show a lot.  "Benedictus" is a highlight for me...wish it was a little longer.

Closer is VERY cool!

Edited to add...front ensemble bass guitar (5 string) is a monster player, but not overbearing.  

Tonight's the night Bloo begins their 50th Anniversary tour.  Think it's going to be epic.

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 6

Was getting ready to head out in a couple hours so I can catch some ensemble but found out one of my co-residents is sick and needs me to take care of the on-call duties for the week. No live Crown for me until July 30th 😞 

• Sad 2