Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

16 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

Since SA, it seems there’s been a precipitous decline in activity/chatter here in CrownLAND. With a few notable—and I hasten to add well articulated—reviews and observations, it appears we’ve been reduced to a parlor game of “guess the playlist tune” for upcoming venues.

As several notable uber honks are taking a DCP hiatus, I’ll have to have to step-up and assume the mantle of CrownUSUAL SUSPECT, however ill informed and unqualified as I am. 

Anyhow, it’s a show day.

go crown

Like that attitude and glad you understand the nuances of this forum.  It can be informative, fun and frustrating but keep rooting hard for your team!  

• Thanks 1

I'm a sop/trumpet player, love all things brass, and love Crown's brass over the years (I can watch those lot vids of 2014 all day), but it just feels like they don't play a lot this year.. quite a letdown for me in that regard. Maybe they actually ARE playing a lot, but it just doesn't FEEL like it.. Once the head-cam and transcription videos come out after the season is over (I know some transcriptions are out now) and I play around with them I'll think differently, but it just feels like if I were to time the amount the brass plays they'd be among the lowest of the top 12 this year.

Overall still an enjoyable show to me.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, frachel said:

I'm a sop/trumpet player, love all things brass, and love Crown's brass over the years (I can watch those lot vids of 2014 all day), but it just feels like they don't play a lot this year.. quite a letdown for me in that regard. Maybe they actually ARE playing a lot, but it just doesn't FEEL like it.. Once the head-cam and transcription videos come out after the season is over (I know some transcriptions are out now) and I play around with them I'll think differently, but it just feels like if I were to time the amount the brass plays they'd be among the lowest of the top 12 this year.

Overall still an enjoyable show to me.

I think it might feel as if they don't play much because the percussion is featured more than usual this year. 

• Like 1

Movement 5 - the thing that is causing the issues at the beginning is the corps is so spread out, it creates timing issues and a lack of clarity visually. It would be much better if the horns we closer together possibly in a block of some sorts doing visuals, rather than trying to run and play spread out across the field. 

• Like 2

Glad it's a show day.  Or night.  11:26 on the east cost. 

And it's kind of like watching late Carolina basketball games, it's not like I can turn it off and go right to bed afterwards.  Too wound up.

I might have to reschedule my 7am call. :sleeping:

• Haha 1

I have a percussion/battery question.  I noticed this a little at Broken Arrow (live) and San Antonio (flo).  When playing, the Crown snares seem to have a little bit different head/shoulder movements as they are playing.  I feel like other snare lines seem to have exactly the same movements across the board.  I'm going to try to pay more attention to it at ither shows, but the question is:  does that affect how the lines are scored? If so, how?

16 minutes ago, ShortyRock said:

I have a percussion/battery question.  I noticed this a little at Broken Arrow (live) and San Antonio (flo).  When playing, the Crown snares seem to have a little bit different head/shoulder movements as they are playing.  I feel like other snare lines seem to have exactly the same movements across the board.  I'm going to try to pay more attention to it at ither shows, but the question is:  does that affect how the lines are scored? If so, how?

I have noticed the same.  It is definitely not uniform in the battery.

23 minutes ago, ShortyRock said:

I’m not so sure about head and shoulders necessarily. But if your shoulders are at different heights that means your arms are too and that means so are stick heights and things like that. I know stick heights are definitely judged on uniformity. It could be a sort of domino effect of sorts.